Community Forum

Wireless Router speed

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Wireless Router speed

Have comcast internet. 

Wired speed is 120mbps.

Sitting in the room three feet from my router, wireless speed is 24mbps. 

Netgear n300 wnr2000 v3 Router allows up to 300mbps transfers. I understand that's raw data numbers, but why such a disparity in speeds?

Thanks in advance. 

Expert

Re: Wireless Router speed

FWIW, that thing is a 10/100 DINOSAUR !! You would do better with something more modern with more horsepower !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I'm all ears. 

Can you suggest some options, prefferably options that won't break bank?

Thank you!

Expert

I prefer not to recommend specific brands but here is an excellent site for reasearching routers !;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

So nighthawk x4s or x6sf for $50 more?

do i need to even consider x8 line, or is that just hype?

thanks

Regular Contributor

Anything on the market right now is better than what you're dealing with.  If you're not a data hog pushing GB's in file syncs to a NAS a new linksys/netgear/dlink/etc. should suffice.  There's a ton of options in the $50 range that would be a significant improvement to where you are now.  If you're planning on upgrading your speed you should be fine up to the 250M tier w/o getting into the granular shopping of features and technology.  

Also, if your PC / Laptop is running an older WIFI card you can upgrade that as well for typically less than $20 on ebay.  Not all cards are the same even with the AC type they vary from 400M 877M 1.733Gbps speeds.  Much cheaper to upgrade the card itself than putting out the cash on a new rig.  

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the info. From what  i read it should be pretty simple to upgrade the wifi card which i will do. But my newer laptop gets the same readouts on download speeds, so the router needs to upgraded i suppose.

Do you have good suggestions? I was looking at those netgear x4s and  x6s for $200 and $250 respectively. Is this overkill?

Regular Contributor

Overkill is subjective. It depends more on what you want to do on your network when it comes to devices and needing the bandwidth.  If you have 10 devices such as 2 x laptops, a thermostate, a couple of phones, etc. something in the $50-$100 range would suffice.  If you want to only do the upgrade once for the next few years looking into something more might be worthwhile.  I recently went through the whole upgrade process myself and went with the Synology RT2600AC with upgrading everything else in mind like the new modem I picked up MB8600 for 3.1 compatibility and gig service upgrade.  For me the 2600 (doesn't refer to speed / the higher the number is a combo of speed and devices it's able to support) is enough speed and features in comparison with all the hyped up boxes in the $150-$500 range.  There's no need to pay more than you need for your own circumstances though.  Just because a router costs $200 doesn't mean you'll get what you're promised on the box.  

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RT2600ac#specs - Amazon is selling them for $200 

They're well known for NAS devices and after reading up on them they're in the top 3 for devices in the same classification.  They've made significant strides in performance under the hood for hardware since releasing their first ever router the RT1900AC just a couple of years ago.  The other 2 routers in the same class being Netgear/Asus have similar internal specs but significant price differences.  It has a ton of features and granularity if you want to dive deep but, on the same note you can take it out of the box, run the software update, and be running just fine in about 10-15 minutes.  I plan on keeping mine around for a few years at this point and for the average connection you should be able to get at least 5 years out of it.  And it has a 2-year warranty that could be even longer depending on which CC you use for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac - there's a good table under Advanced where it shows the advertising requivilent.  2600 is top end for most hardware you can even put in your PC at this point and get over a gig on WIFI internally at least unless you upgrade your WAN speeds with a newer modem / gig plan.  For instance with the refresh I've done between modem/router and finding a new gen wifi card for the laptop I'll have wireline speeds over wifi to take full advantage of download speeds at full speed.  Even my current wifi card that's AC connects @ 877Mbps but, the throughput is throttled to about 500M.  

Frequent Visitor

Can these router all do pretty much the same thing? For example, the description of Netgear x4s says:

• Network storage-ready with superfast twin USB 3.0 and eSATA; Use ReadyCLOUD to access the storage anytime from anywhere

Does this mean I can plug an external to the router and access files wirelessly? And can all these machines do this? 

They are all around the same price. In your opinion, is there a winner from this line-up? 

The Netgear line has more positive feedback on Amazon (I understand those reviews don't neccessarily come from experts in the field.)

Yes, I'm quite indecisive. 

Thank you. 

https://www.amazon.com/Synology-RT2600AC-Wi-Fi-Gigabit-router/dp/B01N5MPTG1

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-X4S-R7800-100NAS-Compatible/dp/B0192911RA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s...

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-X4S-R7800-100NAS-Compatible/dp/B072LZZZXB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s...

Expert

ai2tman wrote:

Can these router all do pretty much the same thing? For example, the description of Netgear x4s says:

• Network storage-ready with superfast twin USB 3.0 and eSATA; Use ReadyCLOUD to access the storage anytime from anywhere

Does this mean I can plug an external to the router and access files wirelessly? And can all these machines do this? 

Yes. That's what it means. And wired or wirelessly.

No all routers can do it but many, if not most higher end ones can.

They are all around the same price. In your opinion, is there a winner from this line-up? 

I prefer not to recommend specific brands / models but here is an excellent site for research ! ;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for all the info. I learned a lot. Never realized how advanced these routers could even be.

Expert

If your comment was being directed at me, you're quite welcome !