Community Forum

Windows 10 upgrade have limited WIFI

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Windows 10 upgrade have limited WIFI

Year and a half old dead thread on an incorrect board now being closed..

Visitor

For what it's worth, I was having this same problem - I could see my home network, but couldn't connect with my friends Windows 10 computer, even though I could connect with every other device in my home. But when I turned off the "Paid Wifi" setting in Windows 10, which had been on, I was able to connect without any problem. I don't know why it would make a difference, but it worked.

Diamond Problem Solver

pwhtucker wrote:

It is only when trying to connect to the Comcast SMC cable modem that I am no longer able to connect.  The only thing I have not done yet is check for an upgrade to the firmware of the cable modem.

The SMC has always been temperamental and was the first gateway deployed.  You might want to take it to your local Comcast office for something newer, try and get one of the dual band units.

You can find your local Comcast center at this link.

https://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations/

New Poster

You are correct.  I can connect to any other WiFi or MiFi device and get connected without issue.  It is only when trying to connect to the Comcast SMC cable modem that I am no longer able to connect.  The only thing I have not done yet is check for an upgrade to the firmware of the cable modem.

Problem Solver

i'm confused.  

It sounds like, (am i reading this wrong?) . . .

The customers here are not reporting the known windows10  "No wireless networks are available"  condition.

They are reporting a problem connecting specifically to the in-home Comcast wireless gateway, & report having no problem with their windows10 connecting to any other wireless gateways outside the home or in a work environment.

Official Employee

Have you tried following Microsoft's work-around instructions? Check out this post on their support site: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3084164.

New Poster

i have not found a solution to this problem either.  I have a Dell XPS 8700 and have upgraded my wireless card driver and still cannot connect to the router or to the Internet.  I have forgotten my home wireless network and reconnected and it asks me for the router pin and when I provide the PIN it connects for a few minutes but then comes back with "No Internet Access" and then a limited connection symbol.

Expert

Does this post shed any light on your problem?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

I have this same problem.  I downloaded the driver updater software for my Wifi device and still no luck.  I spent 2 hours with Comcast Tech support and they weren't able to resolve this either.  Has anyone found a solution, short of downgrading back to 8.1?

New Poster

I had a similiar problem. I am able to connect to outside wireless connections perfectly. Unforunately, my home wireless connection is undeniably weak. I had a service representative come in and replace all the wires and such. Then he blames it on Windows 10. Can anyone tell me how windows 10 has a problem with my home wireless connection and not anywhere else?

Official Employee

You may be experiencing an issue on the Microsoft side, and Microsoft Support has provided a work-around. See this thread for more details: Windows 10 Upgrade - WiFi Issue.

Gold Problem Solver

luly444lou wrote:

I upgraded to Windows 10 and can't connect to WIFI, is showing as LIMITED CONNECTION. Other devices in the house are connected so i know is working. I can connect to the WIFI at work and other hot spots so is not my laptop. I have try everything i can think of: soft reset the router, unplugged the router, restart computer. At the end i just went back to Windows 8.1 and everything is OK, WIFI connect and strong. so what is the problem? is my router not compatible with Windows 10? if that is the reason, where can i get a router that is compatible?

It is not your router.... WIndows10 install may have loaded a generic driver for your Wireless adaptor in the laptop..  First step is to go connect your laptop to the router with an ethernet cable and establish connectivity...  Second would be to go back to WindowsUpdate and search for a newer driver for your wireless adaptor... if you can look into device manager and identify the maufacturer of the adaptor, you may be able to go to that manufacturer's website for a Windows10 driver...   Good luck!

New Poster

Windows 10 upgrade have limited WIFI

I upgraded to Windows 10 and can't connect to WIFI, is showing as LIMITED CONNECTION. Other devices in the house are connected so i know is working. I can connect to the WIFI at work and other hot spots so is not my laptop. I have try everything i can think of: soft reset the router, unplugged the router, restart computer. At the end i just went back to Windows 8.1 and everything is OK, WIFI connect and strong. so what is the problem? is my router not compatible with Windows 10? if that is the reason, where can i get a router that is compatible?