Community Forum

Wifi

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
Contributor

Wifi

My husband has been documenting our problems with xfinity/comcast since day one...Day one, they had our billing/service address wrong and kept going to the wrong house.  This issue created such a nightmare that my husband went to comcast to complain and the whole thing started all over...so...There was set a SECOND day one.  This time, he has a special notebook.  He documents EVERYTHING with the tv.  I have been forced to fight and fuss over the darn wifi.  I have the unobstructed gateway within a foot now of my husband and his iphone 4.  His wifi speed is HORRIBLE even when I make it so his phone is THE ONLY wifi device on and connected.  Rebooting/resetting/etc DOES NOT HELP.  I can't believe we are paying for this!  What can I do about this horrible wifi???

Expert

Re: Wifi

@garybar wrote:

My husband has been documenting our problems with xfinity/comcast since day one...Day one, they had our billing/service address wrong and kept going to the wrong house.  This issue created such a nightmare that my husband went to comcast to complain and the whole thing started all over...so...There was set a SECOND day one.  This time, he has a special notebook.  He documents EVERYTHING with the tv.  I have been forced to fight and fuss over the darn wifi.  I have the unobstructed gateway within a foot now of my husband and his iphone 4.  His wifi speed is HORRIBLE even when I make it so his phone is THE ONLY wifi device on and connected.  Rebooting/resetting/etc DOES NOT HELP.  I can't believe we are paying for this!  What can I do about this horrible wifi???

hi, another customer here. Are you in a crowded customer area (example: condos, apartments)? Is it a Comcast provided gateway/wifi? Do you have other more modern wifi connected devices?

The iphone 4 is a bit 'long in the tooth' technology now over 7 years since introduction. It has only the 2.4ghz radio which is usually a very overused frequency. Do you have a desk/laptop that can be hooked up to the modem/gateway to test wired speedtest capability?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Wifi

His wifi is slow in the iphone 4 even when I disable each and every other device (all of which use 5ghz).  We live in a mobile home park.  I have no obstructions between he and the gateway.  So when everything else is off/unplugged and not using wifi, his speed is not increased.  WHen i just tell him to quit using xfinity and just use verizon data, it works better.  I've tried changing channels, attempted (and failed) adding routers of several kinds.  One router I added made zero difference.  One router I am trying to add now has dual band so I thought it would work better but I don't know how to add it correctly.  I put the DPC3941T into bridge mode and connect to the dual band WRT400N and pages never open on any devices.  I guess i just don't know what I'm doing.  Is there a way to set my husband's iphone as priority..or perhaps, just the apps he uses.  He gets so frustrated.  I get frustrated.  Talking to comcast gets me nowhere b/c they want to waste what little time I have left trying the things I've already tried.  I've told them that I already reset and reboot...The one comcast technician was either coughing or LAUGHING while trying to talk to me with his thick Indian accent and I just politely tried to end the call because I could tel there would be no solutions that way.  Since I have so many routers, I was wondering if maybe i SURROUNDED my husband in routers, perhaps he'd not be any wifi outage areas or whatever.  I have enough of them that I've been trying to figure out how to add.  That's sort of a joke of course but i do wonder if more routers would matter since I do have them.  Also, I don't understand how if we live in a small place and he is right next to the router, why the speed would be affected.  I've used one of those sniffer things to choose channels no neighbors are using and there aren't many neighbors near me really...I live in a little town. Wired speed seems fine for me.  All he wants to do is fiddle with facebook and youtube. Pretty minor stuff. But when I try to maximize the speed for him by removinal all other internet using things, his speed should increase right?