Community Forum

Wifi good until computer is turned off then can't connect upon booting.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Wifi good until computer is turned off then can't connect upon booting.

I have a friend that also has Comcast. She and her husband are in their seventies and are not very computer savey. Lately, she has not been able to connect to the internet when she first turns her computer on. Cycling power on the Comcast router solves the problem as soon as it finishes coming back up. No other action on the computer necessary.

Her computer is the only device in their home that uses WiFi, so we can't test other devices. When I went over to their place to help, before cycling the router, I found that her computer had no IP address, but could see her network and her neighbors networks and signal strengths from the "wirless connections" tray app. I could tell it to join her network, but it failed. My first thought was that the router is not servicing the DHCP request from her computer. But I'm thinking it couldn't get that DHCP request if her computer can't connect to her network. Have we narrowed it down to the Comcast router enough to warrant replacing it? Any thoughts.

Can this be moved to the correct forum?  I'm not sure how I got it under "Home Security & Control".  I had thought I was under just "Devices and Equipment".