Community Forum

Wifi and phone in a garage

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Wifi and phone in a garage

I have an unattached metal garage and was wondering what I have to do to get phone and wifi there. We have Xfinity in the house but the signal isn't available inside the garage. Any ideas are apreciated. 

Expert

Re: Wifi and phone in a garage

FWIW, even if the WiFi signal is strong enough for the internet service, you can't get their phone service in there without a hardwired phone cord from the gateway device going in to there.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hello @drmopar1. You can run an Ethernet and telephone cord from your in-home wireless gateway, through conduit to the garage. I would urge extreme caution and suggest hiring an independent contractor to do the job to ensure the wiring is safely protected and conduit is laid in a safe, weatherproof manner. Once in the garage you can setup a standalone wireless router to create your own WiFi network. This just an idea, not a service Comcast installers could perform. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

OP. FYI. If you run a stand-alone router in the garage from an ethernet cable that is connected to a combination gateway device in the house, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

You should connect a WiFi repeater / extender in the garage for your WiFi needs, not a stand-alone router.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Thanks for clarifying and adding the additional information, EG.

As you can see @drmopar1. There are many options. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

No prob Joe. HAPPY HOLIDAYS !! Smiley Happy