Community Forum

WiMAX and my laptop

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

WiMAX and my laptop

Good evening

Hoping someone will help as I am not very knowledgeable about the networking of a laptop.

I just received my wonderful TOSHIBA laptop and I hooked up to my wireless router for home use which is perfectly fine - Works great.    If I want to go to a friends house that does not have wireless will this WiMAX work? I am assuming that I have it since it is an icon on my desktop. Please advise how I use it while I am at my friends house.

Thanks so much!

Problem Solver

edit

edit

Silver Problem Solver

Re: WiMAX and my laptop

@clover wrote:

Good evening

Hoping someone will help as I am not very knowledgeable about the networking of a laptop.

I just received my wonderful TOSHIBA laptop and I hooked up to my wireless router for home use which is perfectly fine - Works great.    If I want to go to a friends house that does not have wireless will this WiMAX work? I am assuming that I have it since it is an icon on my desktop. Please advise how I use it while I am at my friends house.

Thanks so much!

There is a differnce between Wi-Fi and Wimax.  Wimax is a data service you can buy which is like a 3g Smartphone connection.  Comcast sells a similar service called 3go which provides a pluggin for you laptop and allows you to get on the internet in most locations. The Comcast service  provides 3g  service in most parts of the United Stats and 4g servies in certain Cities. 

You can call comcast sales and ask for pricing on the 2Go service and whether 4g is available in your area