Community Forum

WiFi issue with new Arris TG1682G

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

WiFi issue with new Arris TG1682G

Recently swapped an older TG862G for a new TG1682G due to increased speeds. I went into the interface and turned off the 5.0GHz WiFi, because my laptop which used 5.0, no longer works (it's ancient by today's standards). Even though the 5.0 WiFi is disabled and the SSID broadcast for it is turned off, the 5.0 light on the gateway continues to blink very slowly.

Since nothing is connected to it on that band and it's now disabled, why is the light blinking in the first place? Shouldn't it go out once the band has been disabled?

Expert

Re: WiFi issue with new Arris TG1682G

It may be because the public *xfinitywifi hotspot* and / or the *hidden access point* for the Comcast home security systems is / are still broadcasting.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

The hotspot doesn't turn off. I changed the setting on the customer web site last week and despite being told that it's disabled, the hotspot is still broadcasting.
Silver Problem Solver

Any chance you are in an apartment and someone else has it on?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@edwardp wrote:
The hotspot doesn't turn off. I changed the setting on the customer web site last week and despite being told that it's disabled, the hotspot is still broadcasting.

Are you certain that it is your device's SSID / network name broadcast that you are seeing ? You can easily cross reference this. Unplug your device. If it disappears, you'll know that it is yours for sure.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I looked for the the last four of the MAC address in the WiFi Analyzer app.

The hotspot has turned off since my last post.