Community Forum

Why is my DirectTVNOW streaming slow?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Why is my DirectTVNOW streaming slow?

Hi I decided to start a new thread because the thread I posted on was kind of old. So I changed from Comcast cable TV to DirectTVNOW and kept Comcast internet. For 2 weeks I had both Comcast cable TV and DirectTVNOW to evaluate both to see if one was better than the other, both were at about the same performance level and I had no issues with buffering or freezing. I have Apple TV in my living room and Amazon Fire Stick in my bedroom. The Apple TV is connected via LAN line and the Fire Stick is WiFi. I decided to change to DirectTVNOW only because it was cheaper. As soon as I disconnected my Comcast cable TV and returned the bable boxes I began having buffering and freezing issues with my directTVNOW. I still had bad buffering and freezing after going to the highest internet plan provided by Comcast and started renting the Comcast New modem. Admittedly the Fire stick has much less buffering and freezing issues than the Apple TV probably the VPN issue. Now logically when the only variable that has changed is the removal of the Comcast boxes and turning off the Comcast cable TV it points to Comcast throttling down DirectTVNOW. Especially after roumers of Netflix paying Comcast not to Throttle them down and my Netflix streaming is fine and Internet surfing is even faster after switching to the faster internet plan and modem. Could someone explain to me how this has nothing to do with the changes to the Net Neutrality law? By the way when I was returning the boxes the sales associat at Comcast suggested that I keep just the basic cable service. Why would he say that? In any case I will be paying the $80 for a technician to come out to address the issue. If they can't fix it then I will be convinced there is a "throttling" issue and be forced to change providers.

Why is my DirectTVNOW slow?

Regular Contributor

Re: Why is my DirectTVNOW streaming slow?

First off connect directly to the cable modem and run some speed tests to confirm your speeds.  The minimum needed for most streaming OTT plans is 25M.

While you're directly connected to the modem go ahead and login to it http://10.0.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1 and grab the signal readings.

Dropping video and keeping HSD shouldn't change much for buffering.  The thing that comes to mind though is having open outlets that aren't capped introducing noise into the lines causing the reduced speeds/buffering.  If you can disconnect the unused lines from the splitter your issue may go away completely.