Community Forum

Why can't we have more than one cable modem/router on our line in our home if we own more than one?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Why can't we have more than one cable modem/router on our line in our home if we own more than one?

Just curious because I've been using my cable line in my one bedroom upstairs less and less and have another approved modem that could be linked to my account to make for a single ethernet connection for a device I want to use it on. Yet I was told repeatedly that that is NOT possible. WHY? Would it cause a conflict with my other modem/router? Just curious.

FYI: I would prefer an official answer from a Comcast employee and not one of these "experts" on the forums who are just other customers. So please save your responses for other people's posts.

Expert

Re: Why can't we have more than one cable modem/router on our line in our home if we own more than o

This is a peer-to-peer help forum with some support from employees. Employees won't typically respond here unless one of the mods ("experts") ask them too. If you don't wish to participate in the community, you can have a direct conversation with employees via chat https://support.xfinity.com/chat or call 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

I am not an employee.
Expert

Re: Why can't we have more than one cable modem/router on our line in our home if we own more than o

I just want to say this because I did do it myself in the past. It is possible however the revenue department policy for internet is one subscription per one modem. It’s likw a forgotten but still followed policy. It used to work for me for I believe 4-6 months and then they cut one off of the internet. I called in to corporate offices and believe me at first the lady said, “I’m not sure why it’s not letting you” and then she dig through some more information and said it’s a revenue department policy for the whole company. They only catch you when they run an audit on your account. Once I removed my second modem modem then the second modem got activated and worked for another couple of months before it shut off. So it is possible but the revenue department doesn’t want it to be that way.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

@Nerdburg wrote:

This is a peer-to-peer help forum with some support from employees. Employees won't typically respond here unless one of the mods ("experts") ask them too. If you don't wish to participate in the community, you can have a direct conversation with employees via chat https://support.xfinity.com/chat or call 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

It's not that I don't wish to participate. It's that I would rather have an official answer WITHOUT having to call somebody, wait on hold and then receive the cookie cutter answer the company approved. Moreover I've dealt with P2P forums like these before and I could do without the snarky and/or unofficial answers until I hear from a company rep.

Official Employee

CheapestGamer, 

Thanks for posting. I appreciate your quest for knowledge in this regard but please understand this is a peer to peer platform. Comcast Employees address concerns that are sent to us from our experts on the forums. Nerdburg is one of our forum's experts and is very knowledgeable on how the forum operates.

From what I'm told, each account is allowed one IP address assigned to a modem. If you have another modem, this would require 2 IP addresses which is something we do not accommodate at this time. 

If you're looking to extend coverage in your home, I suggest purchasing a standalone router or xFi pods if it is available in your area. 

KenF

Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

CheapestGamer, 

Thanks for posting. I appreciate your quest for knowledge in this regard but please understand this is a peer to peer platform. Comcast Employees address concerns that are sent to us from our experts on the forums. Nerdburg is one of our forum's experts and is very knowledgeable on how the forum operates.

From what I'm told, each account is allowed one IP address assigned to a modem. If you have another modem, this would require 2 IP addresses which is something we do not accommodate at this time. 

If you're looking to extend coverage in your home, I suggest purchasing a standalone router or xFi pods if it is available in your area. 

KenF

Sorry if I came off rude to other forum members. It's just that I'm used to sarcastic and other caustic comments and never getting a proper answer or it taking forever to get one. Thank you for the succinct answer on the modem situation. I do recall seeing that some areas Comcast services do allow two devices on one line, but I guess it's not allowed around here yet or those doing so are skirting the actual policy. Hopefully the issue I'm currently having with the Wifi on my gateway I own will be resolved soon since it seems like that's the only part of my service that is less than optimal at this point. Even so it's only a recent development. Thanks again for the concise and informative answer on this question.

Official Employee

It's no problem, CheapestGamer. Thanks for understanding. I'll follow up with you on your other threads. 

KenF