Community Forum

Which Gateway Device?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Which Gateway Device?

I recently upgraded my internet service to include phone. I previously had an Arris SB8141 modem and a NetGear AC1750 dual band gigabit router. I was always being told by Comcast that the SB8141 3.0 docsis was at its END OF LIFE and I should upgrade the modem to a 3.1 docsis modem.  I do realize that this modem can't be used for phone. Currently I have the TG1682G (XB3) Gateway. Comcast told be at the time of installation, that it was a 3.1 docsis. No it isnt. They said I need an (XB6). Can anyone recommend a good modem that includes phone to use with my Netgear AC1750. I have been seeing that 3.0 docsis equipment is ok to use. My plan is for 75Mbps Blast which Comcast has upgraded to 100 Mbps at no extra charge. I dont want to rent the current equipment anymore, and I want to use my router instead of it just sitting there gathering dust.

Thanks, Woodland1354

Expert

Re: Which Gateway Device?

Here you go;

https://www.amazon.com/Touchstone-TM822G-DOCSIS-Ultra-High-Telephony/dp/B00721TUNS

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Ok...I checked out that modem and found some others that might work....TM822R by Arris and the CM500V by Netgear.

I have 24 download and 8 upload. Some of these have 8 upload and 4 download. Will that make any difference?

Also the TM822R is an eMTA.  Can I use this one as well?

Expert

The TM822R is essentially the same thing as the one that I posted. The CM500 doesn't support phone service.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

CM500 is just plain modem while CM500V has voice as well.

Expert

jweaver0312 wrote:
CM500 is just plain modem while CM500V has voice as well.

OP.