Community Forum

Want hotspot on, but wi-fi off. Possible?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
Contributor

Want hotspot on, but wi-fi off. Possible?

My gateway is currently in bridge mode, so the personal wi-fi is disabled. When I check the hot spot setting in MyAccount/Services it shows that it's Enabled, but when I try to find a hot spot using the Xfinity app my location does not show up.

I would like to enable the Comcast hotspot feature on my gateway, but I want to still use my own router for personal wi-fi. Is this possible?

Edit:

I think I found the answer to my own question. Per the FAQs here, my home location will not show up on the Xfinity App.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Want hotspot on, but wi-fi off. Possible?

Back when I had a gateway the hotspot would remain on even in bridge mode, as long as it was enabled in the account. (unless things have changed). Mine did take about a week to show up after install. Call in if it doesn't.

(I believe the app only shows business hotspots on the map, if that's what you mean)?

Contributor

Thanks Paranoid.

That confirms my current understanding as well.

I found a FAQ that states that the app only shows businesses.

From the FAQ page:

Will my address be shown on the hotspot location map or XFINITY WiFI app?

We do not list residential customers’ addresses on the hotspot location map or in the XFINITY WiFi app. Small business locations are listed on the map as a feature of the Comcast Business WiFi service. Businesses can learn more about managing their Comcast Business WiFi Hotspot directory information here.

Silver Problem Solver

You're welcome jmr !