Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Virus alert email

New Poster

Virus alert email

I got an email alert that said "backdoor virus detected" - your computer has been blocked. See attached photo.  Said it was a YahLoverWorm infection. It said to call computer technician immediately, and listed an 877 number to call.  Did anyone else get this?  I'm thinking it's spam. I clicked on SPAM, deleted the message, and now I'm trying to figure out how to find and run my virus protection software.

IMG_3185.jpg
Expert

Re: Virus alert email

It's total spam, like the phony calls from "Microsoft".  You should be running an antivirus program (there are tons to choose from) but don't let this email scare you.  That's what they want to do.

mady

Expert

I've had it too.  It's adware/malware that fixes itself to the browser, in this case Chrome.  If it keeps coming back reset Chrome completely.  If you research it online you will find a lot of entries dealing with other similar fake virus warnings.

New Poster

Thanks Comcast JoeTru for your help. I think your suggestion worked. Will continue to monitor to see if the subtitles appear again when they're unwanted.