Community Forum

Very specific problem with a particular MMO

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Very specific problem with a particular MMO

So around the end of March this year I started to have lag spiking issues in the evenings on the MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR). The issue is completely specific to this game and only happens in the evenings (after about 7PM EST). I also play Overwatch, use Discord, watch Twitch streams, etc. and have zero problems, even at the same time the problems are occurring on SWTOR. So I originally posted my problem to their help forums and at first I was told that it does look like a problem with their servers (since that's where the packet loss would start) and that they would flag the issue. I don't know if they ever did anything specific to resolve it or if it was just coincidence but the issue went away. At least for awhile. It came back again at a later date (it seems like it corresponds with when a patch comes out but I'm not 100% sure), I posted about it again, it was flagged again, and it seemed to be resolved again. Now in the last few days the problem is back (again after a patch) but this time I was told to talk to Comcast because my route to their servers is now different and now the packet loss is showing as starting on intermediary hops instead of starting at the SWTOR servers. I should also point out that other people have complained of similar issues, but it's not something that is affecting everyone that's playing either.

So to start with this is my signal information: https://i.imgur.com/L3an68j.png

I have tried resetting the modem and flushing DNS but it makes no difference.

This is what my latency looked like on my OLD route when things were normal with no problems (the 159.153.xx.xx IPs are the SWTOR servers):

This is what it looked like when the problems started (there's always a steady latency rise, then it levels out, then the packet loss, then it rapidly goes back down to normal after 10-20 minutes):

So in those the packet loss looked like it didn't start until it hit the SWTOR servers. But this is my new route during the problems (I don't know why it was changed but other players have noticed it as well):

So now it's a new route, same exact problem, but it's showing the packet loss starting earlier in the route. I've been tracking this most nights, and it's always the same pattern of having 10-20 minutes of packet loss with noticeable bad lag spiking in-game and it usually happens 3-4 times a night (it might happen all night but I go to bed by about midnight). So I don't know if anyone can actually help me with this here but they told me to talk to my ISP. If anyone has any ideas about what's going on here or what I can do to fix it I'd appreciate it. Again it's only a problem with this particular game, which makes it seem like it would be their problem but I don't know anymore. I'm perfectly happy with my internet otherwise.