Community Forum

Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

Is their any reason that you can't use the gateway in bridge mode if you have Xfinity Home service without buying a proprietary router from Comcast?  I have a 2 story house and need coverage that one radio can't provide.  I prefer to have control of my network and its security and use the gateway solely as an internet connection.  The router offered for sale is best adapted tor a studio apartment.  Right now I have my main router connected to the switch on the gateway upstairs, a second router used as a wired repeater downstairs,  and also have to use the gateway radio for a network that is superflous.  Given the recent reports about security flaws in the network provided by the gateway, I'm especially concerned. 

Official Employee

Re: Using gateway in bridge mode when you have alarm system

You just need a Netgear security router installed if you change the gateway to bridge mode
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
You just need a Netgear security router installed if you change the gateway to bridge mode

Thanks for that information; I will try to remember it if I ever put my XB6 in bridge mode.  My Orbi is in AP mode, so all I had to do was to turn off the XB6 wifi.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

That's exactly what I was talking about.  Why can't I set up my existing router instead of buying an otherwise useless device?  

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Silver Problem Solver

@willie_mctell wrote:

That's exactly what I was talking about.  Why can't I set up my existing router instead of buying an otherwise useless device?  

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

You don't have to buy it, Comcast will give you one.Might need a tech to install it though.

Contributor

Thanks, I'll look into it.  I'd like to find out how much control I'll have over its network.

Official Employee

@willie_mctell wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

You don’t need to buy anything, it’s provided if needed and only installed by a tech. There’s nothing really to control, it’s going to be attached hard wired to your present router, you wouldn’t be running any of your personal devices through it.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Why does a tech need to install it?  It sounds like I will be unable to control the router.  I'm very uncomfortable about having a device on my home network that I don't have administrator privileges on.  Let's not get into the semantics of "home network."  It's behind the cable modem.  I'm already disturbed by being unable to perform admin functions on the security system terminal beyond the end user stuff available on the menus..  BTW, there are only 2 ethernet ports on my cable modem.  Does "hard wired" man that the router uses one?  

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@willie_mctell wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

You don’t need to buy anything, it’s provided if needed and only installed by a tech. There’s nothing really to control, it’s going to be attached hard wired to your present router, you wouldn’t be running any of your personal devices through it.

Frankly I find the cable modem disturbing although it allows partial control.  

Official Employee

It’s a tech install because it needs to be associated to the touchscreen, only techs have credentials to get into that portion of the touchscreen. It’s sole function is to communicate to the touchscreen. It’s either going to be hardwired to the modem, and if it’s in bridge mode you’re down to one port, or if you have a switch or a router the security router can be connected off one of those. Ultimately, it’s your choice with the equipment available

Contributor

Exactly the problem.  I expect to have administrator privileges on my own network.  I feel very uncomfortable having a service provider control this.

wrote:
It’s a tech install because it needs to be associated to the touchscreen, only techs have credentials to get into that portion of the touchscreen. It’s sole function is to communicate to the touchscreen. It’s either going to be hardwired to the modem, and if it’s in bridge mode you’re down to one port, or if you have a switch or a router the security router can be connected off one of those. Ultimately, it’s your choice with the equipment available

Silver Problem Solver

@willie_mctell wrote:
Exactly the problem.  I expect to have administrator privileges on my own network.  I feel very uncomfortable having a service provider control this.

wrote:

I have only needed that function when I had a tech to make changes.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

@RobertWyExactly.  I'd rather make the changes myself.  It goes back to the definition of personal computing, you have control of your data and your hardware without having to deal with a third party.

wrote:

@willie_mctell wrote:

wrote:

I have only needed that function when I had a tech to make changes.  

Expert

Oh? How many alarm or security companies give you complete administrative access over their devices or their system? For that matter, does Apple give you complete access over your iPhone when it's connected to your network? 

The Netgear sidecar router runs its own proprietary firmware, and connects only to the Comcast system. You don't need to be mucking around with its internal settings, it's only there to help manage your Home Security network. You have enough control over the Touch Screen, and the XFinity Home App, or at https://home.xfinity.com to manage your security. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.