Community Forum

Upstream on Arris Sb6183 too high.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Upstream on Arris Sb6183 too high.

Hey guys, been having this issue for quite sometime.  My Upstream bonded channels power is a bit too high and I've notice some instability in my upload.  I've replaced the one splitter in my attic to a brand new one, brand new ethernet cables and a new power supply to my modem but to no avail.

Here's an attachment to my current modem stats on the attachment.

Any help would be appreciated.  I feel like maybe on Comcast's end to lower it would be what should happen next.  

P.S:  The coaxial cables in my place were replaced 2 years ago so they're practically brand new.

1111.PNG
Regular Contributor

Re: Upstream on Arris Sb6183 too high.

Sounds like a plant or tap issue.  Call in for a service appointment to have them verify and escalate to a tech 2 to adjust things.

Regular Visitor

I wouldn't doing that it's just I've had quite a few techs visit my home ONLY to tell me everything was fine when it obviously wasn't.  I'm afraid the same thing will happen again.

Regular Contributor

Well, then add another splitter or change the splitter in your attic to bring down the power levels.  However this might bring down your downstream as well and impact your speeds as well.  If you have a 2-4 port splitter then either add another 2-way to the coax that goes to your modem line to bring it into spec.  

Regular Visitor

It's funny you mention that, I just replaced it with a brand new splitter a few days ago to try and troubleshoot.  Would you mind clarifying the 2nd splitter situation?

Regular Contributor

Each time you add a splitter you decrease the signal levels.  The marks on a 2-way are typically -3.5db which should reduce the signal you're seeing by that amount. If you have a 10-way splitter they'll drop by -9.5db or so.  The splitter acts like a resistor to tune the signal to ideal levels or in some case boosts them if you have a degraded splitter that introduces other issues like noise to the line due to corrosion or damage.  

For instance my line coming in has a downstream of 12-14db and SNR over 40.  If I split the signal with a 10-way my power downstream drops to 1-3db and SNR still around 40 which is "ideal" however when dropping my power level my speed took a hit on the gig plan.  

The band aid method is mostly just troubleshooting rather than fixing the issue coming in on the line from the pole.  It might work long enough to the point where the next time there's a signal issue the tech might be more inclined to esalate the issue.

Diamond Problem Solver

mrumppe wrote:

Well, then add another splitter or change the splitter in your attic to bring down the power levels.   

Uhh "adding another splitter" will make the upstream power even worse higher..........

The idea is to reduce the line attenuation to lower the upstream power, not increase it.

The upstream and the downstream power levels work in opposite ways when it comes to line attenuation conditions.

Regular Visitor

It almost seems like there's not much else I can do on my end to troubleshoot.  Problem is, it would be nice to skip having a tech visit since it would be a waste of time.  Any other suggestions by chance?

Diamond Problem Solver

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home. Good luck !

Regular Visitor

Completely understandable to go through the proper channels.  Thank you.

Diamond Problem Solver

It's their game and their rules...