Community Forum

Upgraded service and got less speed.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Upgraded service and got less speed.

It's best to call in to see what the local policy is. I've heard of this being done. The signal levels/line quality has to be adequate enough to allow for the losses that are associated with the necessary additional cable split. The eMTA would need to be provisioned for phone service only and the internet modem would need to be provisioned for data service.

Show the tech this thread.

New Poster

Is it possible to run two modems on one cable line with a splitter? If so ill go get a fancy new 3.1 router and an old 3.0 emta for my phone lines. 

Comcast is sending a tech out to determine the cause. I beleive you are right but no matter how I explain it to the reps, they dont really understand what is going on. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Yes it is. That modem can't do gig so it defaults to using a "Performance" 50 speedtier. You need to ask a rep to change your speed-tier subscription back to what you had before as I stated in order for the backend billing and the provisioning system to be able to push that boot-file back.

New Poster

Subscribing to a new tier is not what cause me to lose speed, calling in to report I didnt get the speed i paid for and having a comcast rep change the boot file on my modem resulted on slower speeds.

Is there anyone that can change the boot file back? Do they make back ups of these things before they change them?

Diamond Problem Solver

PMLyf wrote:

Thats fine but is there anyway I can get back to the atleast 180 MB/s I had before they tinkered with the modem boot file?

You would need to re-subscribe to your prior speed tier in the interim until you upgrade your modem.

New Poster

http://mynewmodem.comcast.net/

My device is still listed saying it can recieve up to 644 mb/s, id be happy with that until i can afford a new modem.

Why am I gettiing 50 Mb/s after talking to comcast all day? I feel helpless. i shouldnt have to ask this forum for help but the phone reps have no idea what they are doing.

New Poster

Thats fine but is there anyway I can get back to the atleast 180 MB/s I had before they tinkered with the modem boot file?

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, that modem will not deliver gigabit speed. You need to use a DOCSIS 3.1 device.

New Poster

Upgraded service and got less speed.

Just upgraded to Gigabit service and added a phone line. After the tech noticed I wasnt getting a gigabit connection, he some how messed up my boot file and I now only get 55 Mb/s on a wired connection. 

My current modem is a SB6190 which I was getting 180 Mb/s(WIRED) on before the rep changed my boot file on the cable mode.