Community Forum

Update Equipment

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Update Equipment

How often does Comcast suggest for equipment to be updated?

My modem which I rent from you is from March 2013 when first installed.

I have never been contacted to do so.  Just curious

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Update Equipment

I don't know the answer.  Since I live 20 minutes from my Xfinity Store, I went by there and asked if they had a newer gateway.  I got an XB3 to replace my older gateway.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/broadband-gateways-userguides/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@AD40 wrote:

How often does Comcast suggest for equipment to be updated?

My modem which I rent from you is from March 2013 when first installed.

I have never been contacted to do so.  Just curious

What is the exact make and model number of that "modem" ? Which speed tier are you subscribed to ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Short answer isthat they don't.

For years I had Adelphia equipment and everytime I contacted Comcast, I would be told that this was the newest equipment.

For those not familiar with Adelphia, this was the company that Comcast bought out in 2006 ! Itwas not until I had a actual Comcast tech at the house that he saw what I was using and replaced it.

If you do not do it on your own, they will not do it for you.

BTW, you should all OWN your own modem/router to avoid paying that monthly charge.  It pays for itself in less than a year in most cases.

Silver Problem Solver

@SnoBrdrVt wrote:

Short answer isthat they don't.

For years I had Adelphia equipment and everytime I contacted Comcast, I would be told that this was the newest equipment.

For those not familiar with Adelphia, this was the company that Comcast bought out in 2006 ! Itwas not until I had a actual Comcast tech at the house that he saw what I was using and replaced it.

If you do not do it on your own, they will not do it for you.

BTW, you should all OWN your own modem/router to avoid paying that monthly charge.  It pays for itself in less than a year in most cases.

Since I have Comcast Voice, I would have to buy a modem/router and an eMTA.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Marked "answered", dead thread from last year now being closed....

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!