Community Forum

Unidentified Wifi Access Points

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Unidentified Wifi Access Points

My cell phone has a wifi monitoring app (WiFi Data). It shows that my new Xfinity gateway is transmitting 6 - 8 "ghost" access points (unidentified wifi signals) unconnected to my own network or the Xfinity hotspot. They have no SSID; only a BSSID. The gateway is in bridge mode and I've disabled the Xfinity hotspot, but these wifi signals are still coming from the gateway: 2 or 3 on channel 11 and 2 or 3 on channel 36 (it varies) even when I shut off my router. Joe (tier 3 advanced repair at Comcast) says they don't do anything and nobody can connect to them, but he can't tell me what, if any, purpose they serve. Anyone have any idea why Comcast gateways are sending out unidentified wifi signals?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Unidentified Wifi Access Points

One thing that I do know is that the Comcast gateway devices broadcast a "hidden" network intended to be used for wireless connectivity for their home security systems.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for that info. That may be, but why couldn't a tier 3 tech know that and tell me? He said he had no idea what the signals were and they were an engineering issue, but as no one can connet to them (he says) I shouldn't worry about it.

Diamond Problem Solver

@jslowata wrote:

Thank you for that info. That may be, but why couldn't a tier 3 tech know that and tell me? He said he had no idea what the signals were and they were an engineering issue, but as no one can connet to them (he says) I shouldn't worry about it.

As a non-employee, let alone that I am not in that techs mind, can you really expect to answer that question ?

Regular Visitor

It was a rhetorical question.

If the signals are related to the Xfinity home security system as you suggest, I would expect a tier three tech to know that; and he apparently didn't (or wouldn't tell me). I'm not saying you're wrong; and, in fact it's very likely you're right; but I'd still like the question left open (I don't have Xfinity home security).

Frankly, I'm amazed that this question apparently hasn't come up before - at least I can't find anyone on the net who has asked about it -  I seem to be the only one of Comcast's millions of wifi customers who's running a wifi signal monitor and has wondered why there are a half dozen "anonymous" wifi signals coming out of their gateways.

Regular Visitor

Comcast called me tonight after I said on the feedback form that the issue wasn't resolved. I explained the issue and the tech did something and the signals disappeared, so the problem is solved. He didn't know why bridge mode didn't stop the signals, but now that they're gone, I'm happy. Kudos to Comcast for following up on the question.

Diamond Problem Solver

Yeah. The ones that have had the training have the ability to disable it. .