Community Forum

Unable to receive Gmail and not able to obtain comcast email automatically forwarded to gmail accoun

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Unable to receive Gmail and not able to obtain comcast email automatically forwarded to gmail accoun

Below is what I'm receiving when attempting to obtain my gmail. I can send but now don't receive nor obtain forwarding from comcast account. I've followed all the prompts, shut controls down, etc. and still cannot obtain gmail. Google has NO phone service to discuss. Help if possible. Thanks. 

Error reading mail.
Server returned error "Connection closed by remote host: The other server terminated our connection...."
Expert

Re: Unable to receive Gmail and not able to obtain comcast email automatically forwarded to gmail ac

Just as an aside------none of the free email providers have any real customer support.  Certainly not over the phone.

Now onto your issue------------you are the first one I've seen mention this situation, and after reading your post I decided to do some experimenting.  What I found tells me that Comcast and Gmail are not playing nice.  It's not just your account, as I am able to duplicate the same result you are getting;  I can't get my Comcast account to auto-forward to my Gmail account.  Consider what I did:

1)  I am able to send an email to the Gmail account using the Compose page in the Comcast webmail in the usual manner with no issues.  The message arrives in my Gmail Inbox as expected.

2)  When setting up the Auto-forward in the Comcast settings, I tried using both the @gmail.com and @googlemail.com domains------no change.

3)  I re-did the setting to use first my Outlook.com (actually, @MSN.com), and then my Yahoo email accounts----------auto-forwarding works just fine with both.

4)  Clearing cache and browsing history, and signing out of the account and back in again had no effect.

I am going to escalate this and get someone to look into it.  It appears to me that you may have discovered a glitch in the auto-forwarding feature that seems to be unique to Gmail addresses.  It's the weekend, so we may not see any action for a day or two.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Unable to receive Gmail and not able to obtain comcast email automatically forwarded to gmail ac

Thanks very much for trying. I'll await other answers. Potentially it is not curable.....but it has worked for YEARS; and now it affects my business/life.