Community Forum

Unable To Delete Email Address' That I Never Put Into My Address Book

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Unable To Delete Email Address' That I Never Put Into My Address Book

I have the same issues: my Select Addresses file is filling up with addresses I don't want and can't delete.  I contacted Xfinity and they said there was nothing they can do????? 

Frequent Visitor

The only way I could get any help was call the tec dept and they took me threw a way. They may have up date it if you go to help siyr front up right.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Drop Down Menu Saves Every Email Address I Send An Email To And I Can't Delete Them Since They Are Not In My Address Book

A selectable option would be to give you the choice of using auto save feature.  Yes would be to use it, no would be not to auto save.

Contributor

Re: email address list

comcastsupport@plaxo.com

Expert
Moved:

Contributor

Re: Drop Down Menu Saves Every Email Address I Send An Email To And I Can't Delete Them Since They Are Not In My Address Book

Try comcastsupport@plaxo.com

Regular Visitor

what is a selectable option?

Frequent Visitor

Very simple solution. Make  a selectable option. That way if you don't want it you can opt out and things will be back to normal.  Why they thought it was a good idea to save every email address that you ever sent anything to whether it was individual or a whole list of addresses is beyond my ability to comprehend. I now use Thunderbird and it doesn't have this problem.  My address book shows up as soon as I click 'Write' and it only has the addresses in it that I put in it.

Rocket science.

Expert

Keeping addresses in the auto-save feature is actually quite common among email platforms.  Yahoo and Gmail both have it, and I think Outlook.com does too.  It's also a common feature among the popular desktop clients like Outlook, Thunderbird or Mac Mail.  The difference is that in those you have the ability to edit the feature, unlike Comcast.  I'm not sure, but I think this is due to the fact that the email and address book software Comcast uses are provided by two different companies;  the email is from Zimbra, and the address book and calendar are from Plaxo.  This has caused a number of systemic problems over the years.  With the other email providers I mentioned, the address book seems to be better integrated with the email platform.  

Hopefully they will solve some of this with the new email platform in Comcast.  The new email is no longer Zimbra, and right now it looks like the address book is different too.  However I can still sign into Plaxo directly and see all my contacts even though I'm on the new format.  So I don't know how that's going to pan out yet.

Just sayin

Regular Visitor

Thanks for sharing your angst of trying to work through this issue.

I just wasted an hour and a half with Raj who just kept flailing about and then suddenly dropped me. If Comcast knows unwanted listings in the Select Addresses can't be corrected, tell the "Repair" Team members to just say "You're stuck." Better yet for all the money Comcast squeezes out of us do a fix on this crappy email program.

Frequent Visitor

Even if I could get the addresses moved farther down the list it might help.

Thanks for your info though, much appreciated.

Expert

mabloodhound wrote:

I tried the fix that Carole suggested but only the first 2 or 3 e-mail addresses in the drop down box had the "forget" optinon after them and most of those were the names that I wanted to keep.  The unwanted names didn't have a forget option. -------------------------

The "forget" feature has nothing to do with deleting addresses.  All it does is move the selected contact further down in the list.  The auto-fill populates the first 5 or 6 at the top based on frequency of use.

Frequent Visitor

I tried the fix that Carole suggested but only the first 2 or 3 e-mail addresses in the drop down box had the "forget" optinon after them and most of those were the names that I wanted to keep.  The unwanted names didn't have a forget option.  I did this in the Lite version.  I also checked the address book in the Lite version and it only has the names of my contacts that I want to keep.  The unwanted were not listed so could not be deleted.

This is very troublesome, going through multiple e-mails to pick what I want.  I do belive I got these unwanted names from an e-maiul that I used "Reply All" on so I will avoid that in the future.  Sure wish Comcast could get in front of this.  Oh well, dreams go on forever.  And it is August 2016 now so this has been going on for some time.

Frequent Visitor

Do as I did, and open a gmail account. Then only use Comcast for other things.

Frequent Visitor

I'll add that I don't think they have anybody that knows what they're doing.

Frequent Visitor

That does not help. I spent several weeks with both Comcast and Plaxo, and the results left me no option but to open a second email account with another carrier. Comcast has always had a bad rep for their customer non-service, and it's will deserved.

Contributor

See my July 11 post - go to Plaxo.com and Contact Us. Email then and say you need to have them delete your AutoComplete entries. It worked just fine for me and all I did was take a chance on contacting them to see if they really would email back and also if they would fix it. They were very quick to respond. Also, if you have the same address book problem I did, see my post about that too cos it worked. It appears that most of the issue of importing is on the Comcast end, so Plaxo's address book is the way around it. I hope this helps.

Contributor

This has been a long, ongoing problem.  I don't believe Comcast has any intention to address/correct the problem.  Maybe they don't know how.

Bill 

New Poster

I also have multiple email addresses that I never put there and can't delete them. Does anyone have an answer?
Regular Visitor

DITTO

Frequent Visitor

I can't find anybody that seems to know what they are doing, so I gave up and went with somebody else.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Address Book (TO: box)

You are lucky. I can't seem to find anybody that knows what they are doing. I finally gave up and went to another email provider.

Contributor

Updated since my last post - I contacted Plaxo and advised them of all the addresses that I could not get rid of - the AutoComplete entries that somehow stuck around. They cleared it out for me. Separate issue was that I wiped out all my Comcast contacts so I could import them from Google Contacts since I keep that updated. It would not let me import even a .csv file. Plaxo advised that is on Comcast, not them. The fix was to import the .csv into Plaxo and that reflected in my Comcast contacts. They were great in responding and helping. Comcast needs to get this fixed and stop worrying so much about selling their bundles - work on the products that people USE that have issues.

Regular Contributor

You know, even the previous system had it's flaws, but this new format.....it stinks to high heaven. The old W7 and XP email systems worked way better than this current one they shoved down our throat. At least with the old one, you had your choice of the drop down box when composing to pick and choose address' to what area you wanted to go in, TO, CC, or BCC, now it's hunt, peck, and waist my time to fill up the send boxes......................and please Mr./Mrs. Latoque, don't advise me to pick another service for my email, that's what I pay Comcast for..........  

Regular Visitor

I'm not aware that it's anything you can fix yourself. One of the Xfinity techs finally cleaned out the unwanted email addresses accumulating in my email program and fixed the problem so it isn't happening anymore

New Poster

This isn't a new problem. I've had it happening for 4-5 years now and the addresses haven't disappeared.

New Poster

Address Book (TO: box)

When I prepare a new e-mail and select the TO: button in order select a prepopulated recipient, I find there are now many many addresses in the list  that I did not enter or use in the past. They appear to have come from an e-mail chain when I was just one of the recipients.

I need to know how to remove them from the list that appears in mid screen. There is a button option that reads: REMOVE, but it is shaded and does not initiate any removal action.

How do I get rid of them????

Help please!!

JR15

Regular Visitor

address list

I have looked at my contacts when I compose an email and I find that a lot of people/companies - (spam emails) have been added to my address list without my knowledge.   How do i get rid of them.

Expert
Contributor

I have made many errors because AutoComplete is horrible for Comcast when using email. I deleted every email address but I still have old and wrong emails listed when I did test of people I made the mistakes with. What good does it do us to have a valid address book to count on if you can't figure out something simple like this with your vendors? AutoComplete should only feed from the address book!!!!! 

New Poster

Email

Names appear in my "To" field of a new message that aren't in my address book.  How do I delete them?

New Poster

need to delete email addresses

email addresses are populating automatically when I reply to email.  I went to my address book but those aren't in there!  How can I delete these that show up in my "email to" box but not in my address book?

New Poster

Fine, I will next time.

Regular Contributor

Re: email

This whole email fiasco, it has to be a bad system and the folks who are running it........clueless. Just look at the thousands of complaints on this forum. It seems like no one is listening except the people who can't do anything about it. Xfinity/Comcast/NBC, whoever, should take some ques (not copy) from the federal govt's email system, the best I've ever had to use.

Expert
Moved:

Re: email

Contributor

I just went into Plaxo.com, and spoke to someone, my account will be cleaned out in 24-48 hours.He said in the future to email    comcastsupport@plaxo.com     to have this situation taken care of! Hope it works!!! Linda Julius

Frequent Visitor

Actually they say "this is working just fine", "Let's fix it".

New Poster

How do you delete autofill addresses ?

This is an issue that needs to be addressed with some urgency in my opinion. This is a problem multiple users have reported and it is one that I have.  I would appreciate it if you could let me know if you have developed a solution to this problem. 

New Poster

addresses

When I go to send an email I click on (TO) and there are e-mail addresses in there that are not in my address book. How did they get there and how do I delete them. Seems like when I send a new email to someone I never sent to before they automaticly go to my (TO) but not in to my address bood.

Hope you understand what I mean. Thanks

New Poster

How can names be deleted from email address listing, not the actual address list

My address book is fine. When I compose an email, the contact list that pops up from which I can choose a name is the one I need to clean out. How is that done. There are names which appear in it that are not in the actual address book.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Retention of email addresses I respond to.

This is an Inn and I answer many email inquiries.  In the past, when I rsponded the email address was not saved (which is what I want), however,now  the email address is automatically saved in my "Select Addresses".  I don't want this, and at the rate I am going I will have a thousand by the time the season is over.  How do you delete them?  Any help would be apprecited.  Thank kyou, Marianne

New Poster

Infinity e-mail duplicate

Duplicate entry when showing list of people to send e-mail to but when I open Address book only one entry there.  How do I delete one of the entries in the list that comes up when I select "To" for e-mails since the address book only shows one listing?

Contributor

after writing an e-mail,and I click on the to tab it takes me to search.(not address book)how do I delete all the address there I dont want,

there are multiple addresss nad ones I donr evcenknow how theyget there..the remove tab is not allowed..how do I clear most of these?  they are not showing up in my address book thank you

Regular Visitor

extra addresses that are not in address book

There are several email addresses that show up in my "select addresses" dialog box, in the left hand scroll pane, that ARE NOT in my addresses book. I have looked and looked, and used the search tool. I've even exported the address book to a pdf and used the pdf search tool and do not find text from these email addresses anywhere. Yet they show up when I'm scrolling through the address list. How do I get rid of them?

Regular Visitor

Cannot delete email address.

Email address appear on list to be sent and then selected but cannot be located on the email address list which is in alphabetical order. How do I delete them.

New Poster

Addressa book

Hi, my name is Denny. I use Comcast Email which says it is Zimbra. My question is regarding my address book. When I prepare to send “To” or “BCC” I see a list of names and Emails for them. I noticed that there is two or more that I did not add to the list. Now, when I go directly to “Address Book” those names are not there to remove. I would like to know why I have emails that I did not put there and how to remove them. Thanks, Denny

Regular Visitor

Address Book

I have many addresses in my Address Book that I did not place there. I cannot delete them the easy way. How can I delete from my E-mail list/

Regular Visitor

Okay.  My husband and I both have the Lite Version of email.  Maybe you don't? 

I found this for you from another forum regarding the same issue:

If you want to try to fix it yourself, switch to the Lite version of Xfinity Connect. In the Inbox page, go to Preferences>>>>>General>>>>Versions. Make the change there. While in Lite, make your changes to the address book. If you switch back to the Full version ( the default view), those changes should be reflected in that address book, although it can take up to 24 hours to show up. The Lite version has the primary, or "master" copy of the address book.

Hope this helps.

Regular Visitor

My email doesn't do that yet, so it won't work. Apparently you're beta testing the new email system Comcast is in the process of rolling out. 

This came to my attention while having Michelle with the "Comcast Advanced Repair Team" look into my problem. Seems that until my email sevice is switched over to the new system with the "Forget" button, my email will continue to collect every address that I send an email to.

Michelle said a number of other people have the same problem.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the "Forget" feature shows itself when the new email system is rolled out...

Regular Visitor

My husband had the same problem.  I just figured it out!

Start to Compose an email. 

In the TO box, start to type in the address you want to delete.  While you are typing, a drop-down list will appear with email addresses and the word FORGET after each address.

Click on FORGET for each email that you don't want auto-saved.

I'm sorry if you have a lot of them.  That's all I found for now  Smiley Happy