Community Forum

Turning off all router settings on a SMCD3GNV

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Turning off all router settings on a SMCD3GNV

I hope you are not paying them for a service that they can't seem to install or straighten out...

Frequent Visitor

@Baric wrote:

I hope you are not paying them for a service that they can't seem to install or straighten out...

I won't be. 

I also gave ComcastLarry my account info last night and I never got a response because it was after hours of course. I messaged him again this morning and this afternoon again and about 4pm he asked for my account info again. This isn't my day.

Silver Problem Solver

FYI, when I conacted tech support to provision my SMC, I told him I was not going to use the SMC wireless because I already had a wireless router downstream.  He said he would "disable" or "not provision" the wireless functionality.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

I'm getting one of these for a self install, thanks for the info, looks like a bit of a battle to get the wireless off!

Frequent Visitor

It's not difficult to disable the wireless.  Looks like Comcast can turn it off for you, or you can pull the card out if you're handy with a torx.

Silver Problem Solver

The difficulty seems to be getting the right person at Comcast to switch it off...LOL!

Frequent Visitor

Ask ComcastLarry - seems like he's the only person who has stepped up to get things sorted here.  As for the wireless, just grab a torx wrench.  Takes about 5 minutes and is completely reversable.

Frequent Visitor

I WAS TOLD BY COMCAST THAT THE SMCD3GNV MODEM CANNOT BE SET TO BRIDGE MODE, EVER! YOU NEED TO GO TO COMCAST AND GET A DIFFERENT MODEM. .......AND COMCAST LARRY IS APPARENTLY NOT HELPING PEOPLE ANYMORE. NO ANSWER AFTER 5 DAYS OF READING MY MESSAGE. ....WHOEVER SAID THESE MODEMS CAN BE CHANGED TO BRIDGE MODE IS A LIAR. OR THE PEOPLE AT COMCAST ARE LIARS.

BACK TO COMCAST I GO. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK THIS SMCD3GNV MODEM IS!!! IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ONE DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR AND MAKE COMCAST SWAP IT OUT FOR A DIFFERENT MODEM!!!!

IF EVERYONE SENDS THESE JUNK MODEMS BACK COMCAST WILL HAVE TO STOP BUYING THEM!!!!

STAND TOGETHER AND LET'S GET ALL THESE JUNK MODEMS RETURNED!!!!!

Silver Problem Solver

I got mine bridged Wenesday.  I just called the number but I don't know who I talked to.

800-363-2416

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@tb7 wrote:

I WAS TOLD BY COMCAST THAT THE SMCD3GNV MODEM CANNOT BE SET TO BRIDGE MODE, EVER! YOU NEED TO GO TO COMCAST AND GET A DIFFERENT MODEM. .......AND COMCAST LARRY IS APPARENTLY NOT HELPING PEOPLE ANYMORE. NO ANSWER AFTER 5 DAYS OF READING MY MESSAGE. ....WHOEVER SAID THESE MODEMS CAN BE CHANGED TO BRIDGE MODE IS A LIAR. OR THE PEOPLE AT COMCAST ARE LIARS.

Wrong and wrong. They can indeed. And Comast Larry was on vacation dude..

BACK TO COMCAST I GO. WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK THIS SMCD3GNV MODEM IS!!! IF ANYONE ELSE HAS ONE DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR AND MAKE COMCAST SWAP IT OUT FOR A DIFFERENT MODEM!!!!

IF EVERYONE SENDS THESE JUNK MODEMS BACK COMCAST WILL HAVE TO STOP BUYING THEM!!!!

I do agree that it is a mistake for them to go the gateway device route !!!

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@tb7 wrote:

It is vacation season; it is quite possible that he is on vacation.  ComcastLarry fixed my modem..    but by all means, send it back if you're unhappy.

Expert

@brent_oly wrote:
It is vacation season; it is quite possible that he is on vacation.  ComcastLarry fixed my modem..    but by all means, send it back if you're unhappy.

It's not just "possible". It was a FACT !!  Smiley Wink

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

FINALLY! After many, many tries I got someone from Comcast to switch mine into bridge mode. Not a bad modem at all now. Seems to work great, so far.

TOO BAD COMCAST DOESN'T TELL ALL THEIR EMPLOYEES HOW TO TURN THESE INTO BRIDGE MODE. SEEMS ONLY A SELECT FEW KNOW HOW. THE REST JUST WASTE YOUR TIME AND DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT BRIDGE MODE IS.

Calling the right number seems to be the key. Just keep calling all the Comcast numbers and eventually You'll find the right one. Maybe.....

Good luck!

Expert

@tb7 wrote:

FINALLY! After many, many tries I got someone from Comcast to switch mine into bridge mode. Not a bad modem at all now. Seems to work great, so far.

Glad you got a resolution !

TOO BAD COMCAST DOESN'T TELL ALL THEIR EMPLOYEES HOW TO TURN THESE INTO BRIDGE MODE. SEEMS ONLY A SELECT FEW KNOW HOW. THE REST JUST WASTE YOUR TIME AND DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT BRIDGE MODE IS.

'Tis sad indeed...

New Poster

I called the 800-363-2416 number this afternoon to request bridging mode set on my SMCD3GNV.  The person who initially answered had no idea what I was talking about, but knew to forward me on to someone who did.  After confirming my account info, she made the change and I'm now working nicely with my own router.   So it appears that Comcast support has figured out the procedure for doing this!  

New Poster

After many transfers, I was able to find "Juan" who put my SMCD3GNV in bridge mode.  My problem now is that my Linksys e4200 is not seeing the Internet. 

Can someone confirm the Ethernet connection?  I went from a Lan port on the SMC gateway to "Internet" on my router.  No luck.  Going from a Lan connection to Lan connection didn't work either.  Did any of you change any router setting to make it work with the SMC in bridge mode?

Expert

Try powercycling the SMC. Let it fully re-sync. Then powercycle the router.

Silver Problem Solver

To reset the SMC, press and hold the Reset button the back of the device for 2-5 seconds.  DO NOT HOLD FOR MORE THAN 15 SECONDS OR YOU WILL TAKE IT OUT OF BRIDGE MODE.

Frequent Visitor

Why all the secrecy about enableing/disabling bridging?  Do they not want us to do channel bonding?

Expert

@PQ2 wrote:

Why all the secrecy about enableing/disabling bridging?  Do they not want us to do channel bonding?

FWIW, this has nothing to do with DOCSIS 3 and multiple channel bonding..

Frequent Visitor

Thanks!  I was just curious about the secrecy issue.  I assumed that channel bonding could not be done by mere mortals due to the crippled software that they installed on this hardware.  I was having issues with my SMCD3GNV while attempting to get a repeater bridge working using the SMC as the AP and DD-WRT installed hardware as the repeater.  Never could get it to work and assumed that it was a shortcoming of the SMC, not DD-WRT.

Silver Problem Solver

Channel bonding is something entirely controlled by Comcast on the cable modem side of things, there are no user settable options.

Repeaters are usually very router specific, some work with one brand or another, some work with more than one, but none works with them all (that i am familiar with).  When you throw DD-WRT into the mix, you're way off on your own.  If you are not satisfied with the wireless fuction on the SMC, have the gateway placed in bridge mode (turning it into a cable modem/EMTA by disabling the router and wireless function), and use your own wireless router, with as many compatible repeaters as you like.

New Poster

it seems to be  a phantom setting only viewable after a reset of the device. after it locks up, 10.0.0.1 into it  and it is indeed under AT A GLANCE.

youre welcome

brian hinson tech 9778 FREEDOM REGION

New Poster

also of note it only seems to be visable when i use internet explorer 8. i dont see it under chrome or firefox. so the visable after reset thing may have only been a coincidence.

Silver Problem Solver

Exactly what phantom setting are you talking about?  This thread has ranged far and wide, I;m not sure what you are referring to.

New Poster

bridge mode....

Silver Problem Solver

So you are saying the option to place the gateway in Bridge mode Is there, in IE8, after a full reset to factory defaults?  Care to share a screenshot?  The manual does not include this information and I can't test it since I don't have that device here.

New Poster

Can anyone confirm that this setting appears after a factory reset of the gateway? I'm looking to set it in bridge mode too, but without the hassle of dealing with Comcast... Also, will voice services still work while the SMC is in bridge mode?

Silver Problem Solver

Why don't you try it and see? All the info I've seen says that only Comcast can put it in bridge mode. The telephone still works when bridged.

New Poster

I think I will when I'm near the device. I'd really like to get a Cisco router setup behind the SMC(running in bridge mode).

I didn't want to lose all my settings in testing it though!

Silver Problem Solver

@ja3hawk wrote:

Can anyone confirm that this setting appears after a factory reset of the gateway? I'm looking to set it in bridge mode too, but without the hassle of dealing with Comcast... Also, will voice services still work while the SMC is in bridge mode?

I agree with Paraniod, just try it.  If your gateway is not already in bridge mode, resetting to factory will only reset things like wireless settings, passwords, etc.

And placing the gateway into bridge mode does NOT affect your Xfinity Voice service or your phones connected to the gateway.

Silver Problem Solver

@ ja3hawk

I doubt it would work and you will have call Comcast to do it for you, but no harm trying I guess.

Mine is bridged right now, so I wouldn't want to lose my settings either...

Silver Problem Solver

@ja3hawk wrote:

I think I will when I'm near the device. I'd really like to get a Cisco router setup behind the SMC(running in bridge mode).

I didn't want to lose all my settings in testing it though!

Just call the folks at 800-363-2416, they should be able to do that for you without the hassle of talking to the regular clueless phone reps.

New Poster

@Baric wrote:

Just call the folks at 800-363-2416, they should be able to do that for you without the hassle of talking to the regular clueless phone reps.

I'll probably do it tonight or tomorrow. If it doesn't work, then I'll call that number. Either of you using cisco gear at home with the comcast connection?

Frequent Visitor

I fully realize that bridging and bonding are separate issues.  My point was that it appears that Comcast has put crippled software onto their SMC devices to prevent knowledgable users from tinkering with channel bonding.  In doing so, they've disabled a user's ability to enable bridging as well.

As far as the repeater bridge goes, where would the incompatability between manufactures lie?  Surely the ability to enable a repeater bridge to talk to another device would be in ensuring that they both used the same wireless security settings. 

As far as DD-WRT goes, it is infinitely better than the lame firmware that's installed on D-link and Linksys devices.  Try using the factory-installed firmware to do anything but create an AP with any of the WRT-series devices from Linksys.

Just my 2 cents...

Expert

@PQ2 wrote:
I fully realize that bridging and bonding are separate issues.  My point was that it appears that Comcast has put crippled software onto their SMC devices to prevent knowledgable users from tinkering with channel bonding. 

You've still got it wrong. There is absolutely no connection between these two different things.

Frequent Visitor

>> I fully realize that bridging and bonding are separate issues.  My point was that it appears that Comcast

>> has put crippled software onto their SMC devices to prevent knowledgable users from tinkering with

>> channel bonding. 

> You've still got it wrong. There is absolutely no connection between this two different things.

which part of "separate issues" meant, to you, a "connection between this two different things"?

There is, absolutely, a connection between the software installed on the SMC and a user's inability to change the device to do either bridging or bonding.

Expert

If you are referring to the mutiple channel bonding properties of the DOCSIS 3 specification, then there is no connection there. Multiple channel bonding exists on the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) configuration at the local headend facility and there is no end user interaction possible with this system.

Silver Problem Solver

@PQ2 wrote:

There is, absolutely, a connection between the software installed on the SMC and a user's inability to change the device to do either bridging or bonding.

Bridging and channel bonding are seperate things.  When you talk about bridging the gateway, what you are in effect doing is turning off the router and wireless fuctions.  Since channel bonding is on the modem side of things, it is uneffected.  You NEVER have the ability to make changes to the channel bonding, not in this device or any other that can be used with Comcast.  Only Comcast can make changes to the bonding.  All you can do (with this or any other modem) is look at the current channels in use (bonded or not).  So the firmware load has nothing to with channel bonding, except where the actual data in the display might be changed (no clue if it is), this should not be a concern.

Yes, I think it's deplorable that the firmware load Comcast has in these devices is missing criitcal functions like turning off the wireless radio or placing the device in bridge mode.  But in either mode, I can still see the channel bonding currently in use, so I'm puzzled as to why you keep linking them.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the clarification.  I just assumed that a user has some control over channel bonding in other devices. This is apparently not the case.  Pardon my ignorance. 

Silver Problem Solver

@PQ2 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  I just assumed that a user has some control over channel bonding in other devices. This is apparently not the case.  Pardon my ignorance. 

It would be nice if we had some control over the modem, but cable broadband systems are designed so that all control over the coax network and directly attached devices rests with the provider.  In terms of the cable modem, all you can do is look at the setup, not change anything.  Most models let your do things like reboot the modem or reset to factory defaults, but those in no way change the settings that Comcast will configure when the modem comes back online again.

Frequent Visitor

Is ComcastLarry still around to help? He fixed my issues both disabling the wireless and router functions and getting the phone to work again.

Silver Problem Solver

He is, if you need him for something, just send him a PM.

New Poster

ComcastLarry,

Can you please set my modem in bridge mode?

Thank you

Expert

@itsintern wrote:

ComcastLarry,

Thank you

Sending him a PM as was suggested earlier by Baric would likely be more effective than him just happening see your post here.

Silver Problem Solver

@itsintern wrote:

ComcastLarry, page will open up.

Thank you

There is a small envelope icon in the upper right hand corner of this page. If you click on the icon the private message page will open up. There is where you can send comcast larry a private message PM.
Expert

Or click this link; 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4671561

Highlighted
New Poster

Hmm, looking at the source code to the /user/at_a_glance.asp page, I see that one can (using firebug, for instance) get the bridging mode option to display by entering the following in to the javascript console:

$("#pageForm1").show();

trying to decide whether I want to test this out or not... It would be helpfull in my circumstance, but I'm ever so conservative about using undocumented features... I may have to poke around the other web pages to see if there's any way of disabling wi-fi!

New Poster

Nevermind, found the pm method