Community Forum

TG862 Can't Add Static IP Address

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

TG862 Can't Add Static IP Address

In the past, I could add devices with static IP addresses via my router. It appears that a firmware upgrade killed this option. I need static IPs for my network.  Any ideas? 

Expert

Re: TG862 Can't Add Static IP Address

From your recent topic, thought you were going to upgrade to a newer model ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I'm waiting for delivery of the upgraded gateway. I was curious as to why I could add the static IPs in the past but not now possible with the TG862.

Expert

If you no longer want to be a prisoner of their every whim, why not ditch renting their gateway devices and get your own high quality cable modem and a separate router and have more features and full and better control of your home network.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@EG wrote:

If you no longer want to be a prisoner of their every whim, why not ditch renting their gateway devices and get your own high quality cable modem and a separate router and have more features and full and better control of your home network.

If I decide to go to bridge mode with the new gateway, what features should I look for in a router?

Expert

Do you also have and wish to continue to use their phone service ? Which speed tier are you subscribed to ?

Regular Contributor

Yes I do wish to continue the X1 phone sevice and I have the 150 Blast.

@EG wrote:

Do you also have and wish to continue to use their phone service ? Which speed tier are you subscribed to ?

Expert

First. X1 has nothing to do with phone service, it is what they call their top of the line *DVR*. Second, unless you wan't to stop paying the monthly rental fee altogether (another story), then just put it in bridge mode as you stated and use a high quality router with it. The phone service will still function.

Here is an excellent site for researching routers;

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

Regular Contributor

The problem is technology changes so frequently that when you buy the new modem it doesn’t take long for it to become outdated - plus there’s the cost of it al. I’ve thought about getting a Comcast approved gateway, but $200 or more is expensive.

I agree with the original poster - this capability was previously allowed by using the admin site, but then Comcast changed over to xFi.
Expert

Year old dead thread now being closed...