Community Forum

Switched to Gigabit internet, max speed is only about 450 at best and around 320-350 on average.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Switched to Gigabit internet, max speed is only about 450 at best and around 320-350 on average.

Modem:  Netgear DOCSIS3.1 CM1000-1AZNAS

Router:  ASUS RT-AC68U

Recently dropped my TV and bumped my internet to Gigabit which started today, however I'm barely reaching half of that at the moment.   Max I've seen is around 430-440 but I'm steadily getting 320-350 instead of the 986-ish that I decided to pay for.  Did a few speed tests, and for example here's a couple test results.

This was when I was directly connected to the modem.

Cat7Direct.png

And then through the router, although the upload speed did bump up to about 40 before dropping back down.

Cat7Router.png

Expert

Re: Switched to Gigabit internet, max speed is only about 450 at best and around 320-350 on average.

Hi @Scope78244

Start here: troubleshooting guide. If you still need help, please post your equipment details (make/model of your modem/gateway/router) and a screenshot of your signal levels and your error/event log. Thank you!

Are you testing speeds while directly connected to the modem (no router)? <--nevermind, I see you already answered that question Smiley Happy

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Switched to Gigabit internet, max speed is only about 450 at best and around 320-350 on average.

From the caps in the original post:

IPV4 = Connected through router
IPV6 = Direct connect to modem.

Had to run to work but will post event logs/etc. when I get back home.
Frequent Visitor

Here ya go.

Channels1.pngChannels2.pngEventLog.png

Expert

Your upstream is a tad high, but no other red flags there. I'll ask an employee to take a look at the back end of things...

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Welp..

After doing some more fiddling about looks like it was Avast which was causing most of my issues.

When I dropped all the shields there was a pretty heavy uptick in speed to about 500-600, and then over time while connected directly to the modem I managed to hit 900+.

ShieldsDownDirect.png

Plugged back into the router?  700-ish, although I did see it spike to about 730.  

ShieldsDownRouter.png

Expert

Do you have AI Protection or DDoS Protection enabled on that ASUS router? 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes to both, actually.

However shutting them off didn't actually change anything.

Official Employee

Hi @Scope78244

I'm glad you were able to get your internet speed corrected. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

Wonder what the solution was ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

At the moment it looks like my copy of Avast Premier.

I had every shield running and apparently those were the cause of the slowdown, dropped 'em all and it shot up.

Still not getting more than 720 through the router though but for right now I'm fine with it.  Will fiddle around with that later.

Expert

Readers here thank you for the feedback !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.