Community Forum

Switch Arris TM822g to Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Switch Arris TM822g to Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

Should I switch Arris TM822g modem to Xfinity Wireless Gateway? I already have a new Linksys wireless router.

Expert

Re: Switch Arris TM822g to Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

If your download speed tier is under 200 MBps, then I don't see any need to as long as the modem is working fine.

If you do need to upgrade, since you already have a new Linksys router you may be better off buying an eMTA modem like the Netgear CM500V, and it'll pay for itself in a year by saving you modem rental fees.

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

OP. Just as a FWIW, I always advise posters to stay far far away from those combo gateway devices !! Just look around the forums and you'll see that there are boatloads of issues with them.

There is always an inherent disadvantage with these. Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of that / them. And the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features.

One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. And if either segment fails / malfunctions, you have a total failure. I think that CC made a big mistake when they changed their policy and decided to start supplying them instead of dedicated devices. The suits seem to think that this will save them money for support costs but I think that they are getting far more support calls/complaints than ever... We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now !

Another issue is that Comcast has created a publicly accessible 'xfinitiwifi' link on their gateways. It supposedly uses separate bandwidth from your own. You can disable it from a link on the Comcast site, but people have been posting that it keeps turning itself back on every day.

Get separate units and keep the control of your home network in your hands instead of theirs, you'll be much happier !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the insight, EG. I thought I remembered some people advising to not go with the gateway, but no longer had the source. The reason I asked my question was because when looking at my Comcast acct., there was a message that I needed to update my modem, and the only choice they offered was the wireless gateway. So the message from cc was misleading. Thanks again.

Expert

Quite welcome !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the helpful info!