Community Forum

Surboard modem and Linksys router won't connect

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Surboard modem and Linksys router won't connect

Smiley Wink

Expert

How about the lights ?

(echo echo echo) 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Diamond Problem Solver

How about the lights ?

New Poster

I power cycled it every time I made a change anything else you can think of?
Diamond Problem Solver

wrote:

wrote:
 He said that it's normal for surfboard modem to not connect directly to a laptop. 

Eh no. But every time you plug a device into the modem, you must power cycle the modem. 

Darn echoes... !!! 

Expert

wrote:
 He said that it's normal for surfboard modem to not connect directly to a laptop. 

Eh no. But every time you plug a device into the modem, you must power cycle the modem. EG is asking what the lights are doing so we know if the modem is actually on-line or if there is some other issue. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Diamond Problem Solver

Are the "US", the "DS", and the "Online" indicator lights lit steadily ?

And the modem needs to be power-cycled each and every time that you change the device that is being connected to it.

New Poster

Surboard modem and Linksys router won't connect

Hi,
I have a surfboard modem and Linksys router both of which were working just fine yesterday. Then it says I no longer have connection. I was on the phone for close to an hour. We reset my modem and router I unplugged and replugged everything. The customer service representative said it was showing I was connected from his end. So I went directly from the modem and still couldn't get signal. Keep in mind it was working an hour before. He did a few resets from his end. All power cords are the ones made for them. I changed out Ethernet cables. I factory reset my router. He said that it's normal for surfboard modem to not connect directly to a laptop. Is this true? Anything else I can try?