Community Forum

Static IP Address.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Static IP Address.

I currently have xfinity tripleplay, but my home internet doesn't have a Static IP address.  I work from home a few days a week and my IP address is whitelisted in places to allow me ease of access to troubleshoot.  Recently my IP Address has changed causing me to be locked out of many of my accounts slowing my productivity down.  I had the same IP for almost 2 years it feels and this change really caused an issue for me.

1. What is involved in getting a Static IP for my home? 

2. I have a Wireless Router that allows other computers and devices in the house to access the Internet, how will this affect this? 

3. How much does a Static IP cost and will this affect my bundle?

dmac

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Static IP Address.

1.  It's not available on residential service, but it is an option on Comcast Business class service.  Call Comcast for details or see this site:

http://business.comcast.com/Internet/plans.aspx

2. Most routers support the use of dynamic DNS clients, like DynDNS Free, etc.  These services allow you to assign  your own hostname to your Comcast IP address and if the IP changes, the host name points at the new IP as well.  They accomplish this by a piece of software in the router (or installed on your computer) that watches the IP address and notifies the system when it changes.  Most of these basic services are free, with pay upgrades for more features.

3. As I said, only available on Business class  servive, and it will be at a cost.

If you have residential service, I recommend #2 and just use a host name of your choice, stop using the direct IP address.

New Poster

I don't see how dyndns will help the user on the original post.  His IP address is whitelisted but if it changes, dyndns won't fake the IP that is reported to the other sites he is attempting to connect to.  His only option is to get a static IP.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

As I pointed out, I said to stop the whitelisting by IP address and simply whitelist the hostname.  Since the OP provided no detials on how or why this whitelisting was being done, it's hard to say for sure if that would help or not, but it might.  In any event, whitelisting by IP with client systems using dynamic IP addresses is a silly and error prone practice.

Silver Problem Solver

I'm not sure how many firewalls allow whitelisting by name. And even if they do, it may not work well with dynamic DNS. A firewall I used to support resolved the hostnames at the time the configuration was loaded, not every time a connection was made (imagine if there are hundreds or thousands of hostnames in the whitelist, and it needed to resolve all of them each time). Another possibility would be that it does a reverse DNS lookup and checks that name, but you can't make your rDNS point to the dyndns hostname with Comcast residential service.

Silver Problem Solver

I agree, it may not work, but it's simply a suggestion.  Depending on hte exact details here, it might help.  If not, nothing lost.

New Poster

No firewall worthy of the name will allow you to assign rules based on host name. it is too esy to spoof a hostname.

Expert

Three year old thread now being closed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!