Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Spam emails

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Spam emails

Hello, I am regularly receiving spam emails from a number of different email addresses that use my best friend's name as the name in the "from" section of the listing of my emails. It is trying to get me to open the email by using his name, but I am 100% sure it is not my friend. The subject line almost always says "FWD: to (my name)". I know there is a way to block particular email addresses, but is there a way to block emails from my frend's name that keeps coming up in the "from" line? This has happened for awhile now with other friends' names too, but lately just this one.

Thank you for any help someone can provide!

Expert

Re: Spam emails

Most likely what is happening is that your friend's email address is being "spoofed". Spammers can make an email look like it comes from your friend when in fact it does not. If that is the case there is nothing he can do but wait it out. Spammers will usually use an address for a while and then move on to annoy someone else. Yes, you can set up a filter to block his name, but then you would block any legitimate emails from him/her too.  I suggest that you just advise your friend that this is ongoing. Also, advise him or her to run a scan with their security software on their system to make sure the account has not been compromised.  He or she should also probably change their password to something stronger than whatever it is right now as a precaution.