Community Forum

Slow speed

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Slow speed

I ran the speed test which yielded a 176 Mbps download rate; however, I seem to be downloading much slower than that. Currently attempting and 8 Gb download which should take less than 10 minutes, but it hasn't reached 10% completion and it's been about 30 minutes. Any explanations?

Expert

Re: Slow speed

@pcolin wrote:

I ran the speed test which yielded a 176 Mbps download rate; however, I seem to be downloading much slower than that. Currently attempting and 8 Gb download which should take less than 10 minutes, but it hasn't reached 10% completion and it's been about 30 minutes. Any explanations?

What type of computer are you down-loading too? An i7, 8-core gaming computer? Or are you using a cheaper computer with only a single or dual core CPU? That and the amount of memory make a big difference in the amount data being down-loaded that any device can handle and store.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Slow speed

@pcolin wrote:

I can download a full copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft, (around 4.5 GB ), in about 2 minutes over my gigabit connection, but Steam? Forget it, I can sit there for a half hour and my 5GB game still isn't downloaded yet. 

Not all sites are going to let you download at full speed - they might be really busy, or their bandwidth just isn't big enough to let you download at that rate. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!