Community Forum

Slow GIG Internet..... Multiple Techs have visited but all gave up > Updates.... the saga continues!

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Slow GIG Internet..... Multiple Techs have visited but all gave up > Updates.... the saga continues!

I have 1 GB service......   the upload speeds are as advertised (35M, but the download speeds are about 50-70MB.    Multiple techs have come to the house and all given up.....     the last one replaced the wire from the house to the Comcast drop in the back of my yard.     I'm running a Arris SB8200, but also have tried a SB6190......and a comacast provided modem,  none makes a difference.   Wired a laptop directly to the modem......   no better performance.     Also moved my modem to the new wire in the yard.... no difference.          The last tech guy even called his tech support line and they were zero help.    At this point I am getting about 5% of what I pay for with no solution forcoming.    Can I get out of my contract since you can't provide the service you promise?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Slow GIG Internet..... Multiple Techs have visited but all gave up

What do the modem's signal stats look like on the 8200 ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Is there a downstream channel marked as "OFDM / PLC" or as "Other" present ?

Frequent Visitor

See image
FA812F37-1D4B-433A-8059-F211199ED11E.png
Frequent Visitor

Called Comcast 3 times today. They just want to send a signal to the modem. This has been done about 50 times in the last 3 weeks. Anyone have any idea what I can do to get the value that I am already paying for? Seems really odd that Comcast keeps promising to fix but they never do
Frequent Visitor

Is there anyone from XFINITY that can help me?    Seems weird that every time I call or chat with the support line they just want to sent siginals to the modem.    This procedure does nothing.    I have spent so many hours and missed so much work on this issue, it just seems like XFINITY is not really interested in making it a priority to fix this situation.    Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get the attention of an XFINITY internet tech that can fix the issue?     Meanwhile..... I continue to receive bills from XFINITY for a service that I am not getting.     Help.....  I  really need to find a new way to get this fixed.

Frequent Visitor

Update:  Spoke with the offshore call center again this morning.   They suggested that if they were to send a signal to the modem it would definetly fix the problem.   Given that this was about the 100th time a signal was sent to the modem I respecfully disagreed.     They sent a signal anyway......   it did nothing.        

Diamond Problem Solver

O/k I see an OFDM channel that is required for gig speed is indeed present.

FWIW, you can't use a DOCSIS 3 6190 for gig, it will never work. DOCSIS 3.1 is required.

Not sure if this is the root cause of the problem but the downstream power is on the low side. I know you said that you had techs out but here are some things that you can try if they apply;

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to get the techs back out there until they fix it right. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response.    I connected the modem directly to the brand new cable that XFINITY ran from the box in the ground in the corner of my lot 3 days ago.   I beleive it is outdoor cable RG11. There are no splitters or splices on this run to the box in the ground.    I did this to demonstrate to the Technician that all the wires in the house could be excluded and the problem still remained.    

Diamond Problem Solver

I'm going to try escalating your ongoing issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Thank you again!    One more piece of info.....   at the junction box in the corner of my yard I noticed that I am only customer hookup remaining with XFINITY.   A quick peak into the Verion FIOS junction box revealed that all my other neighbors have moved away from XFINITY.   My hunch is that the cable from the junction box to the Central Office (or whereever that cable goes) is somehow compromised. 

Frequent Visitor

Update: a gentleman I have not previously spoken with from XFINITY called and was interested in the junction box in my yard.    He said he was going to "put an order in" to have "maintentance" (not a regiular XFINITY Tech person) go out and inspect the junction box to see if there is an issue upstream of my yard.    Also, he said that he was going to put in another order to bury the cable in my yard (I thought the guy yesterday ordered that already).   Finally, he confirmed that another tech would come to the house on Thursday.    Apparently some of the techs are "GIG Certified" and some are not.     The last 2 that came to the house were not GIG Certified.   

Also, I received a private message from Arris asking for the MAC to run some checks from their end.

If anyone at XFINITY is reading this, I would appreciate some help as your people in the field and at the call center are struggling with fixing this issue.     This has been going on for far too long now.  

Frequent Visitor

Update:  Today is the big day!    XFINITY has promised to send out to the house 3 "teams" of people!    Pretty excited as I feel like the team approach is what is going to get me the GIG speed I am paying for.    There will be a huge celebration at our home tonight if this actually works out!   As the weather is quite warm we will probably have a GIG-BBQ on the deck!

To recap.... the "teams" that will be visiting today are: "Team Cable Bury" - will be taking my brand new ultra bright orange cable that has been laying on my lawn this week and putting it underground (tip for the team: please don't cut my irrigation lines!!!).   "Team GIG Certified" - unfortuntely the last 2 techs were not GIG certified..... only 250MB certified.   Great news that this awesome tech with his/her certification will be visiting!   Will be great to meet you today!!!   "Team Line Maintenance"  This is the team I am most excited about.   As I am the only remaining XFINITY customer in my junction box (at the property line) my layman's hunch has been that the line upstream has some sort of issue.    GO Team Line Maintenance.....  I beleive in you!!!

Breaking News: Received a call last night from an Executive Regional Customer Advocate.   Had a great conversation and walking her down memory lane of all the contacts I have made over the years to try to get the speed I am paying for.   She brought up a new concept that I have not heard before.....  apparently there is a piece of hardware called a "Node" at the other end of the coax cable that comes to my home.  Apparelty this Node needs to be switched out for GIG service.   She said she has seen cases where customers have signed up for GIG service, but the node is not capable of GIG speeds.     Could this be the culprit?   We will see!

Frequent Visitor

Re: Slow GIG Internet..... Multiple Techs have visited but all gave up SPECIAL @COMCASTCARES EDITION

Special Update: @comcastcares discussion.       As many others on this forum have recommended, @comcastcares can be a great channel to communicate issues to Comcast and hopefully resolve issues without spending all of your valuable time trying to extract the value from the internet services that we are paying dearly for.    The typical Twitter interaction is all done via DM.   In this special @comcasrcares edition I am sharing my conversation via the attached file (all personal info has been redacted).   Please take a look and let me know what you think.     It seems to me that they are very focused on the hardware in my house despite the fact that all tests have completely excluded my house by connecting directly to their junction box on my property line.     

Diamond Problem Solver

@SlowGig wrote:

She said she has seen cases where customers have signed up for GIG service, but the node is not capable of GIG speeds.     Could this be the culprit?   We will see!

This is entirely possible. If it is the node, you can be sure that others are also being affected. Nodes typically have 300-500 subscribers sharing them. Optical nodes cost BIG $$$ !! Good luck ! Post back with how things turn out.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your comment EG!   I know nothing about networking or ISP's, but I do kow that XFINITY is spending a lot of $$$ on marketing their services including GIG speed internet.     I'm thinking about running a side business as a customer adovcate in my neighborbood......   I have a hunch that very few people are actually receiving the speeds that they are paying for.

Official Employee

SlowGig, thanks for posting all of this! 

Today is the big day so please keep me up to date with what goes on with this tech appointment. 

if you send me your full name and address I can follow up with you once I see the appointments complete. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

KenF,

Thank you so much for getting involved here.....   needless to say there is a tremendous amount of excitement and anticipation at our home today!    Anything you can do in advance to help ensure that today is the day that the problem is finally resolved would be super appreciated!!    You are the best!

Thank you,

SlowGig

Official Employee

You have a drop bury scheduled right? They don't typically have a set time for it (they are given all day appointments) so the best I can do is follow up with you tomorrow for that appointment.

You also have a appointment with the maintenance team which usually works at the node and on the poles--so that doesn't require a lot work on our part (you and I). 

I'll check in with you in the morning once all the appointments have concluded. At that time, I'll be able to view all of the tech notes and next steps if there are any!

KenF

Frequent Visitor

The dream team pulled it off...... the maintenance team fixed the node and the tech rocked at the house!       I now get 960/40 which is really great!!   Thanks XFINITY for rallying around this issue and making it work as advertised!!!!