Community Forum

Slow Ethernet, Wifi, etc..HELP

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Slow Ethernet, Wifi, etc..HELP

Hi.

So.. I currently have what Comcast calls "Wireless Gateway 3" on their Device Comparison page here in the forums. The highlights of this device, according to Comcast are:

Wireless Gateway 3

Features
  • High-Speed Internet: The  Wireless Gateway 3 provide some of the fastest download speeds available. The Wireless Gateway 3 is the latest device from XFINITY, offering speeds over 700 Mbps.
  • Dual-Band WiFi: Wireless Gateway 3 both provide dual-band WiFi.
    • Connect multiple computers, laptops, tablets and other WiFi devices, with higher maximum throughput.
    • Less interference and fewer dead spots in the home allow for faster speeds.
    • A more reliable connection allows for an improved video streaming and gaming experience.
    • The 5 GHz AC-enabled band allows for better in-home signal by supporting "beamforming," which detects devices and amplifies signal in the direction of the device.*
    • Backwards compatible with non-AC-enabled devices or clients.
    • Operates within the 802.11ac spectrum, a WiFi channel that is used by many of the latest consumer electronic devices.
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Connect up to four wired devices to the Wireless Gateway 3.
  • Home Networking: Connect your computers, printers and other devices to the Wireless Gateway 3 to access the Internet both wirelessly and with cables. With the Wireless Gateway 3, you can leverage your existing in-home coaxial cable network to create a faster and more efficient network of connected devices.
  • Built-In Security: The Wireless Gateway 3 come with Comcast-recommended settings for a secure network. For additional security, Comcast recommends changing the default password for the administration site (Admin Tool) to a password of your own.
  • Voice Service: If you also subscribe to XFINITY Voice, the Wireless Gateway 3 support your service with two analog telephone ports.

The problem is that I do not get any in my home network. Quick example, my PS4 is wired.. one of two in the home. When I try to access the Playstation Store I have to wait a good 30-40 seconds for it to load. In addition, when scrolling through the various pages on the store, many of the artwork is not loaded or loading slowly as I go. This is not normal for the service I have which is the 150mbps Blast deal. My Wi-Fi is another story. Many of the phones in the home while connected are slowloading and sometimes unuasable to the point where we just switch back to 4G service.

Now I can go through the Gateway and adjust settings here and there.. which I did. I do know my way around there. Trust me. for all you process of elimination troubleshooters out there, I did not make matters worse.. nor did any of my changes cause the issue. Just saying.

But the thing is I am not really all that sure that there is anything more I can do to this beast of a router. I know I should go out and buy my own. I know. But I don't really want to at the moment. Nor do I think I should be forced to simply because the service is not up to par. Now my question is this.. should I bother running through settings on the router or just call Comcast and have them send a tech out to check SNR and stuff. Cause I will tell you mine seem a bit on the high side if you ask me. I am just not sure how much that would actually affect my network being slowed. 

See the thing is when I run a speed test anywhere I get great results. But the do NOT TRANSLATE to efficient network use. Everything is slow even though my speed tests are high. 

So, what do you guys think? THis is driving me absoultely nuts.

Diamond Problem Solver
Frequent Visitor

Re: Slow Ethernet, Wifi, etc..HELP

OK I will. Alot of the standard stuff (check cables, resets, yadda.. yadda.. ) is easy enough and has been checked routinely a long time ago and is ongoing. The other diag. reports and things I will get into today as I have the time to get ito it. Somewhat of another reason why I was asking if I should have a tech come out. I mean.. I CAN do this stuff.. but on the other hand should I have to? Most of what I am dealing with should for the most part work out of the box as they say. To have to get into ll this is a bit much. What if I was a customer who did not know how to do any of this? 

You know what I mean?

Whatchya think?

Either way.. like I said I will go through the gauntlet. Ill be back tonight or tomorrow with some results. 

Thanks. And thanks in advance for putting up with me. I will likely get frustrated just because this has been the deal for a while now. I just been putting off dealing with it all. 

Diamond Problem Solver

If you have a tech out, and if he finds a problem on your side of the grounding block / demarc point, you will be charged for the visit.

Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

If you have a tech out, and if he finds a problem on your side of the grounding block / demarc point, you will be charged for the visit.

True and understandable. So I have him/her out and they check signal strength.. etc.. I also know for a fact that the connection made at the pole needs attention because when its windy outide I get a lot of stutter and pixelation on my tv. That has to be affecting the internet signal strength as well I would magine. But that would not have anything to do with my ethernet and wi-fi performance from the gateway to other devices. I would imagine whatever the signal strength coming into the gateway is what it is. And from the gateway to devices is where my issue is. 

So I guess the point to my question here is: (aside from trying to fix it) Taking signal strength out of the equation the equipment that I have is I guess what you could call the standard equipment that Comcast send out. Ok.. so that said.. I don't think as a customer I should have to take the gateway, install it, then spend hours/days adjusting settings to try and attain the advertised internet performance. And I know this is not your doing, nor am I trying to yell at you. You are trying to help me. I am just frustrated that I have to do this in the first place. 

Now.. as to the links you posted previously. I went through all of the items listed on the page and like I said before, most of it is standard stuff (check cables, etc..). Everything else is all geared towards signal strength/levels. The only point to any of that would be to determine if I need a tech to come out and fix any signal issues. So I reviewed my levels and while I think they might be a bit on the high side, I don't think they are the cause. 

Let's say the sigal levels are absolutely fine. That being the case, my equipment should be working as adverised.. yet that is not the case. So what else can or should I try? I know I need to get a new gateway, which I am planning on soon. But I would like to make a good faith effort to get the current equipment to work right.

If there is some data you might need (logs, etc..) let me know. 

Thanks in advance for the time you are investing in helping me out. 

Diamond Problem Solver

@pronenko wrote:

If there is some data you might need (logs, etc..) let me know.  

You can post the info requested in the link if you like.

Frequent Visitor

Ok.. here you are. And thanks for looking. The forum would not let me post a true screenshot.. strange.. i can post one anywhere else.. anyway.. I tried to get you the logs but every time I tried it would time out. And yes, these numbers are with a wired conection. 

Downstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Frequency
513.00 MHz
483.00 MHz
537.00 MHz
549.00 MHz
555.00 MHz
561.00 MHz
567.00 MHz
573.00 MHz
579.00 MHz
585.00 MHz
591.00 MHz
597.00 MHz
603.00 MHz
609.00 MHz
615.00 MHz
621.00 MHz
627.00 MHz
633.00 MHz
639.00 MHz
645.00 MHz
651.00 MHz
663.00 MHz
669.00 MHz
675.00 MHz

SNR
34.48 dB
34.48 dB
34.48 dB
34.35 dB
34.35 dB
34.35 dB
34.48 dB
34.35 dB
34.35 dB
34.48 dB
34.35 dB
34.35 dB
34.35 dB
34.08 dB
33.83 dB
33.96 dB
33.96 dB
33.83 dB
33.96 dB
34.35 dB
33.96 dB
33.96 dB
33.96 dB
33.83 dB

Power Level
-7.60 dBmV
-7.50 dBmV
-8.90 dBmV
-9.30 dBmV
-9.30 dBmV
-9.60 dBmV
-9.70 dBmV
-10.00 dBmV
-10.80 dBmV
-10.70 dBmV
-10.90 dBmV
-11.60 dBmV
-11.40 dBmV
-11.70 dBmV
-12.10 dBmV
-12.40 dBmV
-12.30 dBmV
-12.20 dBmV
-12.40 dBmV
-11.80 dBmV
-12.10 dBmV
-12.50 dBmV
-12.40 dBmV
-12.40 dBmV

Modulation
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
Index
Lock Status
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Not Locked
Frequency
35.80 MHz
23.00 MHz
29.40 MHz

Symbol Rate
5120 KSym/s
5120 KSym/s
5120 KSym/s

Power Level
43.50 dBmV
41.75 dBmV
42.50 dBmV

Modulation
64 QAM
64 QAM
64 QAM

Channel Type
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)
DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA)

Diamond Problem Solver

The downstream power is weak and the SNR is low.