Community Forum

SURFboard 6580 new internet not working

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Re: SURFboard 6580 new internet not working

Same problem hardwired or wireless
Diamond Problem Solver

@Brotatochip1 wrote:
I connect to the WiFi fine but no internet access.

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the 6580 with an ethernet cable also have the same problem ? Or is this a WiFi only problem ?

Expert

@Brotatochip1 wrote:
Everything is connecting fine. It just isn’t working after it’s connected. I’ve read other posts about needing a firmware update and thought maybe that was the issue with mine too. It’s not a Comcast gateway so it does not update automatically.

First of all; having your devices all connected by Wi-Fi is an internal thing for your home network. Your problem is you are not connected to the Internet.

You mentioned you have a separate modem / router. That can be re-set by unplugging it a minute or two, and plugging back in for re-set.

Your Internet comes from your Comcast gate-way. Do you have your Comcast gateway bridged, or properly set up to handle your wifi modem / router?

Gold Problem Solver

@Brotatochip1 wrote: ... It’s not a Comcast gateway so it does not update automatically.

Their equipment automatically loads firmware into ALL modems, eMTAs, and gateways, whether they are leased or customer-owned.

Regular Visitor

Everything is connecting fine. It just isn’t working after it’s connected. I’ve read other posts about needing a firmware update and thought maybe that was the issue with mine too. It’s not a Comcast gateway so it does not update automatically.
Expert

Hi @Brotatochip1

Your device will get the latest updates automatically when it connects with Comcast's server.  Is your security software/firewall blocking the connection? Are you sure you have the right network and password? Multiple devices won't connect via wifi?

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

SURFboard 6580 new internet not working

Hi, I’m a new customer and have a Motorola 6580 modem/router. Everything lights up like it’s connected and customer service says everything is fine on their end. I connect to the WiFi fine but no internet access.
I’ve read a couple posts about needing a firmware update. Can anyone help with that? Customer service has been no help Smiley Sad