Community Forum

SMTP Relay Excessive failed authentication after changing password

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: SMTP Relay Excessive failed authentication after changing password

Before posting my inquiry here I spent about an hour on the phone with Comcast tech support. After being transferred 6 or 7 times I spoke with an agent on the Security Assurance team. They were unfortunately as ignorant about what an SMTP server was as the first tech I spoke with. After trying to explain the issue they asked for a screen shot of the error message I was receiving. After sending this to them they came back on the line and told me there was nothing they could do because I was using a third party application and that if I wanted support I would need to have a business account. There was no convincing them that the issue was not related in any way to my client software. Needless to say this was a very frustrating experience with Comcast tech support.

The issue as far as I can tell is that when I changed my password and failed to update it in my application, Comcast has a mechanism which blocks IP addresses from authenticating after so many failed auth attempts which sounds like a reasonable response to me. Either someone removed my IP from this list or some timeout was reached with 0 failed auth attempts and my IP was removed from the list automatically.

The good news is that about 20-30 minutes after posting my original message the authentication issue was fixed and my emails started sending successfully.

Expert

Re: SMTP Relay Excessive failed authentication after changing password

You didn't say what email client you are using, but I would try deleting the account from it and re-creating it from scratch.  Then see if that gets you sorted out.  If not, then call Comcast security and see if they can spot anything wrong in your account-----------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Highlighted
New Poster

SMTP Relay Excessive failed authentication after changing password

I recently changed my password and had a program trying to authenticate to the smtp.comcast.net relay servers using my old password. I've fixed that issue but am now getting this from the comcast smtp relay servers: "Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support"

I've searched the forums and think I have found the issue with a fix from this post: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Re-I-ve-been-having-repeated-problems-with-ESMTP-ser...

How do I get my IP address cleared so that I can send email again?

Thanks

Tags (2)