Community Forum

SB6190 recent updates

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

SB6190 recent updates

if anyone from Xfinity is reading this, just an FYI...

I have an SB6190 customer owned modem... I'm not having any functional issues with my services, but I did notice that you guys broke a featuer of my modem in the last firmware update that happened about a week ago or so...

current firmware version: v9.1.103AA40

as I said, the modem functions as expected and no service issues that I have noticed... but when you goto the modem IP: 192.168.100.1, the status & product info tabs work... however, the event log no longer works... it simply displays HTML code and doesn't function... please fix, as I use this tab to diag issues I have with services at times... I've noticed that as the event log fills with errors and the status tab begins to display >1000 instances of non-correctable errors on the downstream channels, then my modem requires a reboot to get "back to normal"...

this issue is not only on my modem... my dads SB6190 and my brothers SB6190 all have this same issue...

please fix this error on our customer owned equipment...

Regular Contributor

Re: SB6190 recent updates

@HiTechRedNeck

I have an SB6190 customer owned modem... I'm not having any functional issues with my services, but I did notice that you guys broke a featuer of my modem in the last firmware update that happened about a week ago or so...

Sorry to much up your thread.  I was unaware that Xfinity would upate Firmware on anything other than their own Routers?  That is what you are saying right?

Thanks

Silver Problem Solver

@BadR7 wrote:

@HiTechRedNeck

Sorry to much up your thread.  I was unaware that Xfinity would upate Firmware on anything other than their own Routers?  That is what you are saying right?.

Thanks

Comcast update all the firmware for modems and all in one gateways customer owned or not. The only exception being a new Netgear CBR 40 gateway, even then Comcast are responsible for updating the modem side of that device.

Separate privately owned routers are updated by the manufacturer

New Poster

I am having the same issue with the

9.1.103AA40

upgrade.

Was anyone able to help you solve it?

New Poster

Are the latency issues with SB6190 solved by now?

Contributor

Use IE - it stopped working in Chrome, but works in IE. I have the same issue after this firmware upgrade.
Frequent Visitor

It also works for firefox too.

New Poster

what latency issues? I don't have any latency issues... never had... in central CA, 0ms as long as there are not a large number of "uncorrectable errors"...

@mlody wrote:

Are the latency issues with SB6190 solved by now?

New Poster

< 30ms... sorry, changed it to face emoji...

New Poster
New Poster

interesting reading, but both articles are 2yrs old... as I said, I have no latentcy issues... usually 15-25ms as the norm... sometimes over 25  but less than 30ms... all very acceptable...

also as I said in my original message, I monitor my modems status page... I will allow up to a few hundred "uncorrectable errors" but usually stays in the 10-20 range (after a reboot it stays on 0 for a week or two before begining to clock errors)... when I have connection issues, or page lags, I see it as the "uncorrectable errors" will be in the 10k range so I reboot my modem and all is good... this doesn't happen everyday... my usual up-time is about 15-20days... sometimes I get 40+ days, but not very often... my router is a SBC (single board computer) running pfSense... pfSense monitors reliablility in the network and when my "uncorrectable errors" are normal, my network is 0% packet loss... when "uncorrectable errors" are high, 3-5k+ range I've noticed packet loss is 15-20% and those figures obviously raise together...

on the subject of latentcy, I don't consider latentcy a "golden ticket" for network reliability... latency is only as good as your weekest link between you and the server you are pinging (or what ever you are using to see latentcy)... if you want a reliable, solid connection to the internet, packet loss, in my opinion is key with a solid path to DNS servers being second... with pfSense, I setup google's IPv4 & IPv6 DNS servers as primary with comcast's IPv4 & IPv6 DNS as secondary... since I'm a huge fan of google search services, that is what I feel is the best setup... and I maintain a solid and reliable internet connection as well as a VPN connection to my office (using the same setup as my home setup)... since DNS is basically the phone/address book of the internet, its my opinion that it is the second most important key to reliable internet...

hope this helps...

@mlody wrote:

Please see below

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/The-Arris-SB6190-Modem-Puma-6-Chipset-Have-Some-Major-Issues-1384...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/4n5iv1/packet_loss_issues_with_new_arris_surfboard...

Frequent Visitor

New SB6190 modem here, same issue in regards to the Event Log as well. Did you ever find a solution?

New Poster

no solution... as stated in this thread, there are others that have noticed it works in Internet Explorer... here is what I verified this morning:

Windows 10 Internet Explorer: works

Windows 10 Edge: works

Windows 10 Chrome: NOT WORKING

Chromebook Chrome: NOT WORKING

Chromebook Dolphin: NOT WORKING

Chromebook RoboForm: NOT WORKING

the point is that they changed the HTML code on that page to be viewable in a limited number of browsers... they need to fix it... not likely to get any fan fare until the next major update, but at least I'm trying to let them know that its not cool to exclude the browsers I use... I can't stand IE or Edge... I'm a chrome user and chrome has the best compabability with HTML5, which is supposed to be where everything is going... take it for what you will... temp solution is to view in a compatable viewer...

comcast/xfinity should care about what their customers want/need... but they don't... we are captive to their services because they are the only service (in my area)... all other ISPs in my area are 10Mbit max... so there is no comparison to the 150Mbit I get... if I ever got money to start my own service, I would give them a run for their money... but its not in the cards right now...

New Poster

I even tried to pull it up in the IE tab (emulation) in chrome: NOT WORKING

New Poster

Same issue with the Event log on my SB6190 v9.1.103AA40
I also noticed the Help bage does the same thing. 

http://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/eventlog
http://192.168.100.1/cgi-bin/statushelp

both pages show just html on chrome