Community Forum

Router

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Re: Router

Thanks.  Set up my Orbi yesterday  What a difference!  Never had any dead spot issues, but speed in various parts of the house was always a problem and as I added more devices it just got worse.  Orbi certainly appears to have solved my problem.  

Expert

Used to have my ASUS RT-AC68P connected to my old XB6 gateway in bridge mode to go around various issues in my wireless network. Should be no problem.

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Silver Problem Solver

wrote:

Thanks!  Is setting it up as an Access Point something you do when setting up Orbi?  I assume once I do this switch I have to reconnect all my wirelss devices?

How is the Orbi working for you? Any problems?

Yes you change it to an AP during setup.  And yes, you will have a new SSID and password, unless you want to change the default SSID to your old SSID.

Coverage in my 1950-built home is an issue that I resolved by buying two Satellites.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks!  Is setting it up as an Access Point something you do when setting up Orbi?  I assume once I do this switch I have to reconnect all my wirelss devices?

How is the Orbi working for you? Any problems?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  Will do.

Silver Problem Solver

wrote:

Due to the location of my current gateway (cable/internet/phone) and the number and location of various wi-fi dependent devices, I plan on installing a Netgear Orbi system.  Wondering how do I go about disabling the wi-fi in the current gateway.  I have seen others refer to putting the gateway in bridge mode.  Is that something taht can be done just by logginf into the gateway?  Thanks for any help.

I put my gateway in bridge mode and installed my Orbi as an Access Point.  No issues.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Diamond Problem Solver

wrote:

Due to the location of my current gateway (cable/internet/phone) and the number and location of various wi-fi dependent devices, I plan on installing a Netgear Orbi system.  Wondering how do I go about disabling the wi-fi in the current gateway.  I have seen others refer to putting the gateway in bridge mode.  Is that something taht can be done just by logginf into the gateway?  Thanks for any help.

It shouldn't be a problem. Here's how to do bridge mode for your gateway device;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Problem Solver

@ wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd make darn sure that it is compatible before buying it. Good luck!

Frequent Visitor

Router