Community Forum

Router Question (Apple AirPort Express)

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Router Question (Apple AirPort Express)

I currently have an Apple AirPort Express and will be starting internet service with the Comcast modem/router (one device). I'm wondering if there is any benefit for internet speed or wifi strength by also having the Apple AirPort? Is this even possible? 

Expert

Re: Router Question (Apple AirPort Express)

Apple hasn't updated the AirPort Express in a while, so you probably have Wireless-N on it. The newer Comcast gateways will have the much faster Wireless-AC radios. 

You could still use the Airport Express as a range extender if you have wireless dead spots in your house, but having that on your network will slow your wireless speeds down noticeably. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Router Question (Apple AirPort Express)

abuttonquail wrote:

I currently have an Apple AirPort Express and will be starting internet service with the Comcast modem/router (one device). I'm wondering if there is any benefit for internet speed or wifi strength by also having the Apple AirPort? Is this even possible? 

If you are talking about hanging the Airport Express off of the Comcast gateway device without having the gateway device put in to *bridge mode*, you would be cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

The Airport Express only has 10/100 ethernet ports. Forget about using it. It is a low horsepower dinosaur.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!