Community Forum

Regretting xb6 upgrade; need advice

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Regretting xb6 upgrade; need advice

I used to have an xb3 in bridge mode with a Netgear R7000. I got the message to upgrade from Comcast and pulled the trigger after verifying that xb6 supports bridge mode. I had to create a wifi network and password when I setup the new gateway, but I immediately logged-in, hid and disabled the private networks, then enabled bridge mode. I've always had public wifi hotspots disabled on my account. Connected the existing router and did a speedtest. Went from 150 Mbps to 400+. Happy camper.

Later that night, wifi in my master bedroom is so horrible that it is faster to turn it off and browse over cellular service. Fired up Wifi Analyzer and discovered a Technicolor device offering unnamed network connections on 2.4 and 5G channels that are just as powerful as my R7000. Apparently bridge mode doesn't actually silence the radio transmitters. Is this true?

Reconfigured things to take the R7000 out of the loop and let the xb6 manage all the radio spectrum. Wifi is back to usable levels in the master bedroom. If I can configure the xb6 properly maybe I can eliminate the R7000. First I need to forward port 443 to port 22 on a local machine (ssh coming in over https). The xb6 has a port forwarding menu but I can't find a way to specify a different source and destination port. Better look at the documentation. Oh, there is none.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'd like to just buy my own modem and continue using the R7000 but there's nothing available that is DOCSIS 3.1 with eMTA. I guess I'd have to ditch Xfinity Voice and port my number to Vonage or something else if I went that route. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Regretting xb6 upgrade; need advice

@4dq wrote:

I used to have an xb3 in bridge mode with a Netgear R7000. I got the message to upgrade from Comcast and pulled the trigger after verifying that xb6 supports bridge mode. I had to create a wifi network and password when I setup the new gateway, but I immediately logged-in, hid and disabled the private networks, then enabled bridge mode. I've always had public wifi hotspots disabled on my account. Connected the existing router and did a speedtest. Went from 150 Mbps to 400+. Happy camper.

Later that night, wifi in my master bedroom is so horrible that it is faster to turn it off and browse over cellular service. Fired up Wifi Analyzer and discovered a Technicolor device offering unnamed network connections on 2.4 and 5G channels that are just as powerful as my R7000. Apparently bridge mode doesn't actually silence the radio transmitters. Is this true?

Reconfigured things to take the R7000 out of the loop and let the xb6 manage all the radio spectrum. Wifi is back to usable levels in the master bedroom. If I can configure the xb6 properly maybe I can eliminate the R7000. First I need to forward port 443 to port 22 on a local machine (ssh coming in over https). The xb6 has a port forwarding menu but I can't find a way to specify a different source and destination port. Better look at the documentation. Oh, there is none.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'd like to just buy my own modem and continue using the R7000 but there's nothing available that is DOCSIS 3.1 with eMTA. I guess I'd have to ditch Xfinity Voice and port my number to Vonage or something else if I went that route. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Purchasing an eMTA is an option.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@4dq wrote:

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'd like to just buy my own modem and continue using the R7000 but there's nothing available that is DOCSIS 3.1 with eMTA. 

FWIW, you don't need a DOCSIS 3.1 capable device unless you now have their Gigabit speed tier, or plan to have in the future.

Expert

@4dq wrote:

That Technicolor device is the XB6, and the WiFi is the public XFinity Hotspot network:

Note: Enabling Bridge Mode does not disable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature. If your Wireless Gateway has been enabled with the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature, and you wish to disable the Home Hotspot feature, you can learn more about turning your XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot on or off.

( Source )

I recommend that you

1. Turn off the Hotspot as indicated above
  2. Change the 2.4GHz broadcast channel ID of your R7000 to channels 1, 6, or 11,  whichever is the least congested,  or
  3. Purchase your own equipment.

You can do what I did and get separate modems for internet and voice service.  I have an ARRIS SB8200 for Gigabit and an older ARRIS TM722G for voice, with an ASUS RT-AC88U router, and this setup is working wonderfully. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I found a temporary workaround. Use the xb6 in bridge mode with my R7000 but always power it up last so my router gets first choice of channels. If I do that I have usable wifi in the bedroom again.

Is this a bug that the radio transmitters don't turn off in bridge mode? I'm upset that Comcast is helping themselves to my home's radio spectrum when I have explicitly told them not to.

Expert

@4dq wrote:

Is this a bug that the radio transmitters don't turn off in bridge mode? I'm upset that Comcast is helping themselves to my home's radio spectrum when I have explicitly told them not to.

No, it's a separate, public network from your own, so customers can use Xfinity service without having to use your own personal bandwidth or get access to your own private network.  (Xfinity Public Hotspot FAQ )

Obviously people will have different opinions on whether it's a bug or a feature, nonetheless you DO have the option to turn it off if you want to. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry for the miscommunication. As I said in my original post, I do have public wifi hotspots turned off on my Comcast account. These broadcasts are not xfinitywifi, they have no network name. Maybe they're some sort of hidden network for another Xfinity service like Home Security? I've called support and had the modem reset but there seems to be no way to extinguish these transmissions.

Diamond Problem Solver

@4dq wrote:

Maybe they're some sort of hidden network for another Xfinity service like Home Security? 

Likely are !! If you want  to determine definitively that they are actually broadcasting from your gateway device, unplug the gateway and see if that broadcast disappears. Then plug it back in and see if it reappears. If it does, then you'll know that it's coming from yours.

Expert

@4dq wrote:

Maybe they're some sort of hidden network for another Xfinity service like Home Security? I've called support and had the modem reset but there seems to be no way to extinguish these transmissions.

That's exactly correct. They are "hidden" networks that support home security. They can't be disabled. 

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

@Nerdburg wrote:

They can't be disabled. 

I can certainly attest to that, but is it intentional or simply a firmware bug?

I can't believe Comcast would want to run the transmitters uselessly for a service I don't even subscribe to. Also why wouldn't support know?  They could have just told me "You can't silence the transmitters. End of story."

Expert

@4dq wrote:

@Nerdburg wrote:

They can't be disabled. 

I can certainly attest to that, but is it intentional or simply a firmware bug?

I can't believe Comcast would want to run the transmitters uselessly for a service I don't even subscribe to. Also why wouldn't support know?  They could have just told me "You can't silence the transmitters. End of story."

Well, you weren't completely clear on what you were finding at first. You didn't tell me that there wasn't an SSID associated with the signals, for instance, otherwise I would've known immediately that it was the Xfinity Home network. 

The Xfinity Home service used to require the installation of a third party sidecar router (which I still have, a Netgear WND1000 v2) to manage the network. That was eliminated with the XB6, which has its own Home network subnet and Zigbee radio to manage it. 

Also, and since I'm an Xfinity Home subscriber, even though I don't have the XB6, I certainly wouldn't want the ability for anyone to turn those antennas off and compromise my security. 

Certainly the usefulness of those features can be discussed, but there are valid reasons for them to be there. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the definitive answer @darkangelic. I now understand the behavior and the reason for it. I'm still unhappy that they made a major change in their gateway behavior without documenting it anywhere or telling first level support, however I can't fault them too much. It is a niche issue that few of their users will care about.

I'm hoping that a manual might appear soon because I really like the xb6 hardware. It's wifi performance seems as good as my R7000 but with out all the ugly antennas, so my wife might let me put in the living room where it would have by far the best coverage. If I could just get it to do a couple of things that R7000 does I'd use it as my router.

Silver Problem Solver

@4dq wrote:

Thanks for the definitive answer @darkangelic. I now understand the behavior and the reason for it. I'm still unhappy that they made a major change in their gateway behavior without documenting it anywhere or telling first level support, however I can't fault them too much. It is a niche issue that few of their users will care about.

I'm hoping that a manual might appear soon because I really like the xb6 hardware. It's wifi performance seems as good as my R7000 but with out all the ugly antennas, so my wife might let me put in the living room where it would have by far the best coverage. If I could just get it to do a couple of things that R7000 does I'd use it as my router.

This is the closest I could find:

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-14080

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

@4dq wrote:

I found the Technicolor version (CGM4140COM) to be superb, especially as I have Home Security and DIgital Voice as well as Gigabit Internet, but as I can't buy it retail, I had to give it up for my current setup.