Community Forum

Re: Xfinity Wireless Gateway Device/Feature Comparison

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastJessie

Just had my XB6 1G modem installed and all is well. Tried to test the speed with the comcast speedtest www.http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ that I haved always used and the meter does not go high enough and my browser actually crashes when the test shows 19-22% complete. I tried it several times and it always crashes the browser.  Using FF but tried Chrome and same thing happens. 

Tried a few other speedtests and same thing......max it shows  on meter is around 400 but they don't crash my browser.. Is there a new/special speedtest for thise new 1G modems? I see on the forums people fussing that they are not getting high enough results but if the meter guage doesn't go about 400??????

Thanks

Administrator

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastJessie

Just had my XB6 1G modem installed and all is well. Tried to test the speed with the comcast speedtest www.http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ that I haved always used and the meter does not go high enough and my browser actually crashes when the test shows 19-22% complete. I tried it several times and it always crashes the browser.  Using FF but tried Chrome and same thing happens. 

Tried a few other speedtests and same thing......max it shows  on meter is around 400 but they don't crash my browser.. Is there a new/special speedtest for thise new 1G modems? I see on the forums people fussing that they are not getting high enough results but if the meter guage doesn't go about 400??????

Thanks

@TerriB,

Thank you for posting your questions. I can confirm that there is no other speed test tool that we offer other than http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ 

To get the best/most accurate results with that speed test, please ensure the following things:

• Run test only when directly connected to the modem via an ethernet cord
  • Ensure most up to date Flash Player verion on your computer
  • Clear your browsers cache and cookies before testing
  • Ensure your device has the minimum system requirements to receive that speed (see charts below)
  • Ensure your device you are testing on has the capabilities of receiving your Internet speed tier (see charts below)

XFfinity Internet Minimum System Requirements - For Speeds up to 400Mbps

Operating System Your desktop or laptop should be running on a Microsoft mainstream-supported Windows operating system (on PC) or an Apple-supported OS X operating system (on Mac)

Visit the Microsoft Windows lifecycle fact sheet or Mac OS X Support overview for their latest operating system information.
Browser You should use a recent version of one of the following browsers for the best speeds: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari. For more information about different browsers or to download a new one, visit whatbrowser.org.
Ethernet  You can use a Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable to facilitate your wired connection. A Cat5e Ethernet cable is not required for speeds up to 1 Gbps.
Ethernet/Processor
  • For Speeds up to 25 Mbps: 10/100 Fast Ethernet interface or adapter for wired connection

• For Speeds up to 75 Mbps:
    10/100 Fast Ethernet interface or adapter for wired connection and Intel Core i5 (or faster) processor

• For Speeds up to 400 Mbps:
    10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet interface or adapter and Intel Core i5 (or faster) processor

Xfinity Internet Minimum System Requirements - For Speeds up to 1 Gbps

Operating System Windows 8.1 (64 bit) or newer or Mac OSX 10.8 or newer
Browser Mac OSX Browsers: Safari 6.2.8 or newer or Firefox 40.0.3 or newer or Chrome 44.0.2403 or newer

Windows Browsers: IE 11 or newer; MS Edge browser (Windows 10); Firefox 40.0.3 or newer; Chrome 44.0.2403 or newer
Ethernet Cable You can use a Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable to facilitate your wired connection.

**Note**: Due to Ethernet overhead, actual download speeds are limited to 940 Mbps over a hardwired connection.
Ethernet 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet interface or adapter for wired connection
CPU/Processor Intel Dual Core i5 2.5GHz or better or AMD Dual Core K10 2.5GHz or better
Hard Drive / Space SSD recommended to achieve maximum download speeds 64 GB or larger

Xfinity Internet Minimum System Requirements - For Speeds up to 2Gbps

Operating System Windows 10 (64-bit) or Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion or newer. Visit the Microsoft Windows lifecycle fact sheetor Mac OS X support overview for their latest operating system information.
Browser Google Chrome 40.0.2403, Microsoft Edge (64-bit), Mozilla Firefox 40.0.3 (64-bit), Safari 6.2.8 or newer. For more information about different browsers or to download a new one, visit http://whatbrowser.org/.
Ethernet For maximum speeds of 2 Gbps on a single computer, you will need the following:
  • A desktop computer with available PCIe expansion slot
  • A 10G PCIe network interface controller (NIC) adapter with small form-factor pluggable (SFP) cage
  • A 10G enhanced, 850nm multimode fiber (MMF), small form-factor pluggable (SFP) transceiver
  • A multimode fiber (MMF) LC patch cable
To achieve maximum speeds of 2 Gbps on more than one of your devices connected to the fiber handoff, you will need a compatible router or firewall with throughput of 2 Gbps (or greater) along with the following:
  • A 10G router or firewall
  • A 10G 850nm multimode fiber (MMF), small form-factor pluggable (SFP) transceiver
  • All of the additional equipment from the single computer requirements for each connected computer to reach 2 Gbps from the router or firewall. The actual number of devices and configurations supported varies by the brand and model of the router or firewall.
CPU/Processor

Quad-Core Intel Core i7 (or faster) processor and requires a solid-state drive (SSD).

Device Expected Maximum Speeds

Laptop Computers Expected Maximum Speed
MacBook Pro 2015 Up to 435 Mbps
MacBook Pro 2016 Up to 396 Mbps
Dell Latitude E7470 Up to 310 Mbps
MacBook Air Up to 266 Mbps
MSI Laptop Up to 248 Mbps
HP Omen Laptop Up to 245 Mbps
Razer Laptop Up to 226 Mbps
Acer Aspire S 13 Up to 200 Mbps
Microsoft Surface Book Up to 184 Mbps
ChromeBook Plus Up to 156 Mbps
Lenovo IdeaPad Up to 130 Mbps

Tablets Expected Maximum Speed
Nexus 9 Tab Up to 362 Mbps
iPad Mini 4 Up to 238 Mbps
Surface Pro 3 Up to 211 Mbps
Surface Pro 4 Up to 205 Mbps
iPad Air 2 Up to 199 Mbps
iPad Pro Up to 199 Mbps
Galaxy Tab S2 Up to 178 Mbps
MacBook Pro 2013 Up to 127 Mbps
Kindle Fire HDX Up to 76 Mbps
iPad Mini 2 Up to 73 Mbps
iPad Air Up to 64 Mbps
iPad 4 Up to 51 Mbps
Zenpan S 8.0 Up to 27 Mbps
iPad 2 Up to 23 Mbps

Mobile Devices Expected Maximum Speed
Google Pixel Up to 268 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S8 Up to 266 Mbps
iPhone 7 Plus Up to 231 Mbps
iPhone 7 Up to 211 Mbps
Nexus 6P Up to 211 Mbps
Nexus 6 Up to 207 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Up to 202 Mbps
Samsung S7 Edge Up to 200 Mbps
iPhone 6S Up to 191 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S5 Up to 175 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S6 Up to 174 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Up to 141 Mbps
iPhone 6 Up to 120 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S4 Up to 113 Mbps
iPhone SE Up to 83 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Up to 58 Mbps
Nexus 7 Up to 42 Mbps
iPhone 5S Up to 41 Mbps

Other Devices Expected Maximum Speed
ASUS AC 88  Up to 502 Mbps
Apple TV4 Up to 257 Mbps
Netgear A6210 Up to 192 Mbps
D-Link Wireless DWA-182 Up to 174 Mbps
Xbox One S Up to 112 Mbps
Linksys WUSB6100M Up to 111 Mbps
Netgear A6100 Up to 107 Mbps
PS4 Pro Up to 96 Mbps
Tplink TL-WN823N Up to 53 Mbps

Thanks again for your questions. Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

@ComcastJessie

Thanks for all that concerning speedtesting my new 1G modem. I  meet all the qualifications/specs you outlined but the  speedtest meter just will not go above 400m and that seems to be the max it is set for. I have decided that I  not going to worry about it and thanks again.