Community Forum

Re: Slower speeds on new modem (Arris SB8200)

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

I am having the same exact issue. I upgraded from extreme 250 to the gigabit service. With my sb6183 I was getting download speeds of 300Mbps download and 30Mbps upload. As soon as I called Comcast and hooked up the sb6190, which is capable of 1.4Gbps speed, I am only receiving 89Mbps and 5Mbps upload. I called and had them reprovision the modem but it didn’t help at all. Did you get yours working?

Official Employee

Your modem may be rated for Gig service, it’s not on the approved list to be used with Gig service

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com For approved Gig service modems
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Your modem may be rated for Gig service, it’s not on the approved list to be used with Gig service

I clearly see the Arris SB8200 on the approved list for gig service. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

As stated. You will not be able to get the Gigabit speed tier with that DOCSIS 3.0 device. Comcast will only provision a DOCSIS 3.1 device with an OFDM downstream channel for Gig.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Expert

jweaver0312 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

This topic title is now incorrect because I split this out of an old thread. The poster has an SB6190.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

My device is listed on the Comcast site and says it is capable of speeds of 644Mbps. Check mynewmodem.xfinity.com. I should definitely be getting more than 89Mbps.

Expert

Being that the 6190 is incompatible with Gig, it may have defaulted to using a "Perfomance Pro" 75/5 boot-file;

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

New Poster

That would be my guess. However no one can seem to help me and I’m just being told I need to have a tech come out. 

New Poster

The most recent person I spoke to said “The gigabit files does upload but then it goes back to the default.”

So I am being told a technician can fix that in person. 

New Poster

Also, the 6190 is not incompatible. The Comcast website says that modem can get up to 644Mbps.  The box of the modem itself specifically says it can support 1.4Gbps. So while I may not get the maximum speed available, I should still be able to get well over 89.5Mbps. 

Expert

Please re-read this thread... See my post about needing a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem. Again. You will NEVER get gig speed with a 6190. They WILL NOT provision it for that speed tier. The reps will need to revert your account data to whatever speed tier you had before or to one that the 6190 will support or it will default to the speed that you are getting now.

New Poster

Then please explain to me why mynewmodem.xfinity.com shows the Netgear CM700 is compatible with speeds up to 1.4Gbps and it is only a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. This is information directly from xfinity on their website. 

Official Employee

You’re reading the specs of the modem, it’s in the same boat as yours. It’s compatible with Comcast service, just not approved for Gig service.
https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com Will show you what is approved
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

UNCLE !!! I give.... Have fun...

New Poster

It’s not just the specs on the box. My modem specs say 1.4Gbps but that site shows 644Mbps. 

Expert

You're still not getting it.

Regular Contributor

1337gf wrote:

It’s not just the specs on the box. My modem specs say 1.4Gbps but that site shows 644Mbps. 

It DOESN'T matter what the box says.  It's up to the provider.  If you took the same modem to another provider that certifies it for higher than 644Mbps then you could get more speed out of it.  Until/IF Comcast decides to allow it for a higher speed rating then you can get it.