Community Forum

Re: Receiving error 0x800408FC

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee
Official Employee

ddm23 wrote:

ComcastJordan, While you are certainly correct that IPV6 is the new, and proper, standard, it seems unfortunate that Comcast is willing to force a large number of users to make a difficult, expensive, and probably unnecessary change to their existing email clients. I, too have Outlook 2003 in Windows 7, and have had problems with receiving emails through Outlook for the past two to three months. Recently, the error would disappear at some point during the day, only to reappear ther following morning. Is there a problem getting the mail.comcast.net address to propagate through the DNS servers? Do you expect this back-and-forth behavior to continue for an extended period?

I have to agree that the phone-in technical support was a terrible waste of time for both me and the tech, who kept trying to tell me that "...of course the POP3 server was working fine: you could not get your email through the web interface otherwise"

ddm23, 

I do understand your frustration, but Outlook 2003 is not a supported product by Microsoft.  We need to continue to evolve our network to ensure better overall performance.  IPv6 is one such evolution, which becomes extremely important in the era of an internet of things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_of_Things).

Silver Problem Solver

ddm23 wrote:

it seems unfortunate that Comcast is willing to force a large number of users to make a difficult, expensive, and probably unnecessary change to their existing email clients.

Don't look at Comcast. It is a problem with Microsoft Outlook 2003, which is an outdated and end of life mail client.

Windows 7 also went end of mainstream support last week too...

There are plenty of free alternatives if you don't want to purchase an updated version from Microsoft.

Microsoft also recommend against disabling IPv6, particularly in Windows 8, as there are certain OS functions related to LAN connectivity which rely on it,apparently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

ComcastJordan, While you are certainly correct that IPV6 is the new, and proper, standard, it seems unfortunate that Comcast is willing to force a large number of users to make a difficult, expensive, and probably unnecessary change to their existing email clients. I, too have Outlook 2003 in Windows 7, and have had problems with receiving emails through Outlook for the past two to three months. Recently, the error would disappear at some point during the day, only to reappear ther following morning. Is there a problem getting the mail.comcast.net address to propagate through the DNS servers? Do you expect this back-and-forth behavior to continue for an extended period?

I have to agree that the phone-in technical support was a terrible waste of time for both me and the tech, who kept trying to tell me that "...of course the POP3 server was working fine: you could not get your email through the web interface otherwise"

Official Employee

Folks,

It is HIGHLY recommended that you not disable IPv6 as it will only lead to more problems down the road.  We understand that folks are comfortable with their email software, but realize that the issue is with Outlook 2003, a software product released 11+ years ago and saw Microsoft end support back in 2009.  

It is recommend that anyone experiencing this issue upgrade to a more modern email client.  

Bronze Problem Solver

ARROW310 wrote:

when I open network and sharing, there is no place for me to change network adapters. 

In Network and Sharing, click on Manage network connections. Then right click on the appropriate adaptor, select Properties, and then uncheck IPv6.

New Poster

I am not very computer savvy.  I read about how people unchecked some ipv6 block and emails started coming in again.  I have outlook 2003 and windows vista.  The step-by-step instructions aren't clear.  when I open network and sharing, there is no place for me to change network adapters.  can you please help me?

New Poster

For Outlook 2003

If the  IPV6 was turned on/enabled. turning it off fixed the issue for me.

to disable/turn off IPV6 do the following

open network and sharing center

Click change adapter settings

right click local area connection choose properties

untick IPV6 save/close  (did not need to restart computer)

outlook is now senduing and receiving without errors

Highlighted
New Poster

IPV6 was turned on/enabled. turning it off fixed the issue for me.

New Poster

This is the answer !!!!   .... Turn off the Ipv6 and Outlook 2003 will work fine.

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

This fixed it:

IPV6 was turned on/enabled. turning it off fixed the issue for me.

Frequent Visitor

I just tried both of those DNS server numbers - neither of them worked
I am using Outlook 2007 version and cannot find a solution that works -

This time it says the specified server was found but no response from the server...

New Poster

How do you change your DNS Servers?

Bronze Problem Solver

Dbatech wrote:

The Post previously worked like a charm. Had I not a background in IT the code,0x800408FC, and finding the solution would have been a big problem. Why comcast can't fix this is beyond me since its a DNS resolution issue for the server name mail.comcast.net... And they want to build high tech labs.. Right.. 

There's nothing that needs to be fixed by Comcast, the problem is with Outlook. Older versions of Outlook have problems with IPv6. IPv6 enabled systems will ask for the IPv6 address of mail.comcast.net, Comcast will give them the IPv6 address, and then Outlook will gag. It doesn't make sense to me that Outlook would even have a clue about which version of IP was in use, but that's the way it is. And, if I remember right, this problem only pops up when receiving email, not when sending email. Very strange.

New Poster

The Post previously worked like a charm. Had I not a background in IT the code,0x800408FC, and finding the solution would have been a big problem. Why comcast can't fix this is beyond me since its a DNS resolution issue for the server name mail.comcast.net... And they want to build high tech labs.. Right.. 

New Poster

The problem is that the mail.comcast.net no longer responds to the IPv4 address, and instead only works with the IPv6 address on their DNS servers. Since most computers still use the IPv4 address, it will only work if you put the actual server address instead of mail.comcast.net.

I looked them up today and they are:

So go into your mail client, change account settings and replace mail.comcast.net with one of those IPv4 addresses. It will work until they change the address.

New Poster

Go to the original post here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Receiving-error-0x800408FC/td-p/1317195  

and read all posts by Emb0, especially the post on 3-19-2013.

It finally worked for me and got my email working again!

Gold Problem Solver

mlj98 wrote:

Using Outlook 2003 with Windows 7 OS

Can not receive mail after spending hours with Customer Security Assurance service tech.  Sending is fine

using 995 and 465 ports

error  0x800408fc  continues

WHAT CAN I DO??

Did you check "this server requires authentication?  Did you enable SSL for both ports?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

Using Outlook 2003 with Windows 7 OS

Can not receive mail after spending hours with Customer Security Assurance service tech.  Sending is fine

using 995 and 465 ports

error  0x800408fc  continues

WHAT CAN I DO??