Community Forum

Re: How do you keep unauthorized people from stealing your wifi..

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

I want to know how can I see we hat devices are connected to my wifi
Regular Contributor

You should be able to use a browser and log in to your WiFi router as admin.  There you should be able to see devices connected to your local network.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
New Poster

how do you identify you devices?

Regular Contributor

By MAC ID or IP address.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Expert

@jav6joev wrote:

By MAC ID or IP address.

Your devices will also show their NetBIOS name or Network ID, which will depend on your router. (My Harmony Hub shows up as Slim Devices Inc on my old Airport Extreme router, and as the proper name on my ASUS RT-AC88U). 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

First step - Change the SSIDs and change to strong passwords. You should be able to see the devices attached to the router as you change the SSID and password in each device, you can note the MAC address in the wireless client list in the router's admin pages. If an unknown one appears, see if your router has some type of MAC block feature. My Archer C8 has "Wireless MAC Filtering" where I can block MAC addresses or include only certain addresses. Also you can power off the router when not in use, to make your WIFI unavailable.