Community Forum

Re: Dynamic DNS

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Comcast is blocking the ability to change DNS entries even on customer owned devices. At least on the Arris Surfboard SVG2482AC. I bought one and in the same situations and am NOT happy about it.

Authorized Vendor

I will look into this, I do believe this should work..  I am on vacation next week but I will email people on this..  Feel free to keep me honest here and ping me..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Authorized Vendor

Just an FYI I have a ticket in place to get this corrected...  The end user should have access to change the DNS server on the retail unit..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Frequent Visitor

Same with me.  I can not set the DNS servers to be used on a ARRIS SVG2482AC that I just purchased in  March 2018.

I do not want to be forced to use COMCAST DNS servers where I have better ones that I want to use.

Expert

In the meantime as a workaround just change the DNS settings on the client connected to the 2482.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I know I could do DNS by manually setting it on each client, but that defeats the whole purpose of pushing the DNS server names down through DHCP.

In my case, I have Many client devices (around 100 devices) on my home network.  I have the 400 Mbps plan for my Smart House.

So doing DNS manually is a messy idea for our IT environment.  Just would like Xfinity / ARRIS to enable the DNS setting capability that is in the ARRIS firmware code, but its disabled.  See screen capture below of what the DNS setting should look like....

side-by-side-ARRIS.jpg