Community Forum

Re: Can't send e-mail

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert
Moved:

Gold Problem Solver
Frequent Visitor

Just want to report that I had success once I changed the router settings to open up port 587. The default on the SBG900 modem/wireless router for the SMTP Port ID is the 25:25 range.  You have to make a custom firewall policy, delete the old SMTP policy and add a new one.  That did the trick.  Thank you for pointing me in that direction.  It's all in the manual for the modem.

Frequent Visitor

My router's firewall is limiting access to port 25 only.  I'll have to work on changing that tomorrow night when I am home.  Hopefully that will do the trick and I don't screw up anything else. The manual says I can only specify one port, so I will try port 587 first. Should know by Friday (in two days) if it works.  I will report back with my findings. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Gold Problem Solver
Silver Problem Solver

Cyclingdaddy wrote:

I purchased it.  It is a Motorola SBG900 modem with wireless.  I wouldn't know why it would be blocking those two ports.  It is set as it came from the factory.

It shouldn't be...but just check to see if thee are firewall settings that may be restricting outbound traffic...possibly a parental control page..

Just trying to explore every possibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I purchased it.  It is a Motorola SBG900 modem with wireless.  I wouldn't know why it would be blocking those two ports.  It is set as it came from the factory.

Silver Problem Solver

So it could still be blocked at the router. Is yours a Comcast supplied gateway, or do you have a seperate router and modem?

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Not likely since when I have the home PC turned off, even our iPads won't work with wi-fi, but mine does at work.

Silver Problem Solver

Cyclingdaddy wrote:

At the command prompt, I typed

>telnet smtp.comcast.net 587

The return message was connection unsuccessful.  I did the same for port 465 and received the same response.

Any chance that firewall software on your PC or router could be blocking the traffic?

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

At the command prompt, I typed

>telnet smtp.comcast.net 587

The return message was connection unsuccessful.  I did the same for port 465 and received the same response.

New Poster

Ditto, I chatted for over an hour and they ended with saying I needed to contact Microsoft.  Comcast needs to figure out what the problem is and give us good instructions to fix it!  I am very frustrated and cannot get them to listen!  LT

Silver Problem Solver

Cyclingdaddy wrote:

I have not seen any response from the moderator.  A little help please!

Clarify please...I do not beleive it is mentioned anywhere in previous posts...is the connection you are trying to resolve the issue for a Comcast mail account or a 3rd party (work) account?

If you need to check outbound connectivity try telnet to smtp.comcast.net on port 587. It is not clear that you have done that yet, as you mention testing via telnet, but not which server you tested. If you can connect to the comcast SMTP server, then the problem is not your connection...if you are failing to connect to a work email server on port 587, when you CAN connect to the comcast server, the problem is likely to be that either the work server does not have port 587 open, or that the firewall protecting the work email server is blocking your traffic.

Help us to help you!!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I have not seen any response from the moderator.  A little help please!

Gold Problem Solver

I have requested that a Comcast Moderator review your posts.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

It is not an Outlook problem.  Our iPads won't even send Comcast emails.  Read my original post in detail.  I even spent an hour in a chat session with a comcast support rep to no avail.  He gave up. 

It is a connection problem.  I can send with my iPad using my work email (Active Sync) but not anything requiring ports 587 nor 465.

I went to the command prompt and tried to telnet both ports.  That should have connected. 

Frequent Visitor

On the PC we use Windows 7 and Outlook 2007. The iPads use iOS 6.01.  Please reread my original post.  All other answers are there.  I believe this requires someone on the router end.  It is not Outlook, otherwise wouldn't you think the iPads would still work with their native mail client (using port 587 or 465)?  And using Telnet to ping either port resulted in an unsuccessful connection.

Gold Problem Solver

Please post the complete error message you are getting.

A couple of things to check in your Outlook settings, just to be sure....

IF you want to use Port 587 for SMTP, do NOT enable SSL.
If you setup Port 465 for SMTP, in addition, you must check "THIS Server requires authentication"
AND SPA ( Secure password authentication). Should NOT be checked.

NOTE: Which browser are you using too, and which version?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Frequent Visitor

It's been 48 hours since I posted this.  In my opinion, this is an important issue requiring a response from Comcast.  Anyone monitoring this site?  No phone support has helped here (at least the numbers I have called).

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue with both Outlook 2007 and both of our iPads (model 3 and 4 wi-fi).  During the week it stopped sending. We had been using port 25 which we understand is no longer available. We use port 110 to receive and that is fine for PC and iPads.

I've tried ports 587 and 465 with and without encryption according to directions found on this forum and on the comcast site with no success from our home PC.  I also spent an hour in a comcast chat session this week and after trying all of his recommendations the person said there was nothing he could do.

I changed the outgoing port to 587 on my iPad and that does work to send mail only from my office on their wi-fi but not at home on our wi-fi.  Same with my wife's iPad.  So I reset our home modem/router several times, no luck.  My IT director told me to test the port access, so I used telnet for ports 465 and 587 and was not able to get a connection from my home PC, so it is definitely a problem with the pipe to my house.  Who do I contact?  My IT director says it must be a router issue on Comcast's end. Thanks.