Community Forum

Questions about new router

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Questions about new router

Hello to all, I will say upfront,  my questions have nothing to do with WI-FI!!!!! I have 2 wired computers using Cat7 cables and the newest Comcast supplied modem for Phone and Internet, I had Gigabyte service installed and after a week Comcast did a good job.

My one computer gets 950M d/l which is great, That is wired directly into the modem!!!!!!

The other computer is connected from the modem to a NeatGear R6300 router that has a USB drive connected for file backup.

The router seems to slow the other computer down by  40%, even with the USB drive disconnected etc. Thru the router it is slower.....WHY? Firmware updated etc.

Should I get a new router?

Thank you

Expert

Re: Questions about new router

@fakeleg wrote:

NeatGear R6300 router that has a USB drive connected for file backup.

The router seems to slow the other computer down by  40%, even with the USB drive disconnected etc. Thru the router it is slower.....WHY? Firmware updated etc.

Should I get a new router?

Hi @fakeleg,

Your Comcast supplied device is a gateway - meaning it has a built-in router. You don't want to add another router to the network. Instead, you want a network switch

I am not an employee.