Community Forum

Public hotspots unusable - why has xfinity been ignoring its customers on this?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Public hotspots unusable - why has xfinity been ignoring its customers on this?

The xfinitywifi public hotspot service has been consistently presenting issues authenticating, connecting, and staying connected on every device, at multiple locations on the xfinitywifi public hotspot.

This issue has been happening to users for years - this post on THIS FORUM from 2017 was never responded to by an xfinity employee - and it makes xfinitywifi completely useless to anybody who travels, and for those of us to whom this was a defining feature of xfinity's service that kept me from choosing fios instead, I'm truly appalled at how much xfinity is letting down its customers, both in this enormous flaw in their service, and an equally enormous flaw in their customer service.

I have downloaded the XFINITY connect app, and it is almost always (~95% of the time) able to authenticate my account to the public hotspot. The issue is that it fails to connect to the hotspot itself with that same regularity. I'll have to try to disconnect and reconnect usually 30-40 times to get xfinitywifi to properly connect, and every time it fails I get a "No Internet, Open" or "No Internet, Connected" message.

I say "properly connect" because in those 30-40 times, it will only be an abject failure two or three of those times, the rest it will tell me I have connected, before going to the same "no internet" message within 1-60 seconds. This is the most frequent outcome of connection to an xfinitywifi public hotspot, even with use of the XFINITY connect app.

This is on a Windows 10 machine that I'm currently having the issue, but over the years this has been a problem on 2 phones, a previous laptop, and the one I'm using right now. 

I'm really not sure how much longer I'm going to pay for a service that really doesn't actually provide me any service whatsoever, and I look forward to xfinity's solution to this issue; another lack of response, while expected, will also serve as a definitive answer for me.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Connected to public xfinitywifi hotspot, but no internet access

if somebody from xfinity doesn't address this issue, i'm switching to fios on monday

Frequent Visitor

Re: Connected to public xfinitywifi hotspot, but no internet access

Such a disgrace how poorly xfinity customer support treats its customers. Not sure why I've patronized this company through the years.
Official Employee

Re: Public hotspots unusable - why has xfinity been ignoring its customers on this?

Hello lspinney71. We're sorry you feel that way about our XFINITY WiFi Hotspot service. There may be many factors that can adversely affect the operation of a particular XFINITY public hotspot. We do in fact troubleshoot connectivity issues for these hotspots. Each hotspot location will need to be investigated individually. 

I can assist with troubleshooting a hotspot location for you, if needed. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can assist you. Thank you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Public hotspots unusable - why has xfinity been ignoring its customers on this?

Same issue for me this past week while staying in Florida.  First few days I connected immediately, no problems using xfinitywifi.  Last 4 days nothing.  Called comcast THREE times, spent about three hours and basically was told that connecting to a hotspot is a hit or miss.  

That when your device shows a full bar xfinitywifi spot DOESN'T mean that you are close enough to actually use it... what a laugh.

What's the point of showing full bars on an xfinitywifi signal when you can't connect to it because "you're too far away"?  And Comast has no control over the providers of these hotspots even though they use the xfinity name.  I have been with Comcast for over two decades but they are way behind looking for ways to please their customer base.  We want to have access to the internet where we go, and it should be especially easy to do in well populated areas.

Am I expecting too much for my $250 monthly bill?

Frequent Visitor

The issue is not a singular hotspot, Joe, it is every single one, on all devices at all times.

Now I'm a little frustrated, because after posting this message, I went all of yesterday without having a single connection issue, it was connected in the morning all the way through the night!

...and then this morning it starts having connection issues again. As if someone had seen this forum post, fixed whatever they were doing to my account to mess with my connection, and then after lulling me into a false sense of getting-my-money's-worth, disconnecting me.

This is starting to make Xfinity feel like a scam corporation, or as if I upset off one of their employees who has made it their life's work to make sure I can never connect to the internet again.

So, with your response that "every hotspot needs to be troubleshooted individually", why again am I paying for this gargbage, ineffectual service?

Frequent Visitor

And even though your trash customer service took it upon themselves to mark this as "solved", it is NOT solved.

You may think that telling us "oh, well we actually just provide a terrible service and it's YOUR mistake" is a solution. It's not a solution!

A solution is making sure that every time I hear someone mention that they use xfinity or plan to use xfinity, I will make sure they know exactly how to switch to Fios. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Public hotspots unusable - why has xfinity been ignoring its customers on this? A phantom ploy?

So I have made it my plan to ALWAYS try to log onto an xfinitywifi when away from the house, -can't get on it in the house anyways.  Not once have I been able to link onto one, even though it shows on my wifi list with full bars.  So xfinitywifi is just a phantom ploy by Comcast to fool its customers that they offer something of value.

Are there no Comcast customer service reps reading these forums?