Community Forum

Printer temporarily offline

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Printer temporarily offline

I have the new Gateway with the 2.4 and the 5.0 networks. I have an HP laptop and a Canon printer connected wirelessly into the 2.4 network. I have a Dell laptop wirelessly connected into the 5.0 network. (If the device supported 5.0, I put it on that network; otherwise I put it on the 2.4 network.) The HP laptop and printer are about 3 feet from the Gateway. The Dell laptop is usually between 25 and 50 feet from the Gateway.

I can print immediately from the HP laptop, but everytime I try to print from the Dell laptop, I get a "printer is offline" message. If I wait about a minute, it will print the document, but sometimes I have waited for 5 minutes with the printer still showing offline. Then if I go to the HP and check the printer status or scroll thru the print menu on the printer, it will trigger the printer to print the Dell document. None of this is necessary when printing from the HP.

Could this issue be due to the printer being on the 2.4 network and the Dell laptop being on the 5.0 network?

Regular Contributor

Re: Printer temporarily offline

Probably.  I have a Canon as well and it's crappy that they couldn't put a 5G chip in for the wifi.  I changed my IP scheme earlier and had to power cycle the printer in order for it to refresh the IP to the new subnet.  As to why when you're on the same 2.4 network it picks up the print queue right away and the delay with the 5G to 2.4G.  It's a bit odd but, you could just wake it up by hitting a button on the printer to make it print quicker.  There's no real solution to get around it though unless you want to plug in a USB cable to it and then to either a PC or your Router if you have a USB port on it to bypass the delay.  Kind of defeats the purpose of having a wifi printer and being able to put it anywhere in your home / office.