Community Forum

Power strip surge protectors. Should I use them?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Re: Power strip surge protectors. Should I use them?

That would make sense as my local hub site no longer has the white and red antenna but the satellite farm is still there. So lighting strikes should be at a minimal.

I will do some testing with the power strip surge protector and see if anything changes signal wise.

Thanks for the advice.

Expert

@strykerzr350 wrote:

So it is a lose lose deal. If I use it I will suffer connection problems and if I dont I could have a surge.

Use the a proper surge protector like I referenced above and it will help protect your equipment in the event of a lightning strike.

Isnt CATV low voltage anyway and even if it did have a surge it would not really damage anything.

For all practical purposes coax has no voltage on it. It carries the energy of a typical radio transmission. The danger that comes from coax surges is from lightning strikes. The cable plant is gounded, so most lightning strikes are disapated, but a lightning strike fairly close to your home, could cause a surg on your coax.

I know the nodes are powered by the city grid however.

Yes, the cable plant uses commercial power for amps and nodes. However that is isolated power and it should never reach a customer's home. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Contributor

So it is a lose lose deal. If I use it I will suffer connection problems and if I dont I could have a surge.

Isnt CATV low voltage anyway and even if it did have a surge it would not really damage anything.

I know the nodes are powered by the city grid however.

Expert

Generally, no you should not use them for coax.  There are some that work okay, but they are still a common source of failure. The proper way to protect coax from surges is a 75 Ohm lightning surge protector.

The ground wire that you see connecting (technically it's bonding) the coax drop system to your electrical system really has nothing to do with surge protection. Its purpose is to equalize the electrical potential between the coax drop system and your home's electrical system. 

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

Contributor

Power strip surge protectors. Should I use them?

So I have a ground wire going to my homes meter box for the power meter and was wondering. Can I use those surge protectors on power strips like the one in this picture below? I have heard mix feelings about this but would like an answer from a pro. 

surgeprotector.jpeg