Community Forum

Paying for WI-FI 5.0 but only able to access Wi-Fi 2.4GHz

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Paying for WI-FI 5.0 but only able to access Wi-Fi 2.4GHz

I ordered the performance wi-fi 5.0 but when I go to connect to it I get an error message "You can not connecto to this network".   I'm only able to access the 2.4ghz connection.  The kicker is I called tech support and they told me that since I can't access it thenI'll have to settle for the 2.4 "which is more stable and close enough".

Yeah... NO.  It's NOT close enough.  I orderd 5.0 mhz.  I am paying for 5.0mhz.  2.4mhz is not 5.0mhz.  This isn't right and I want it fixed.

Untitled.jpg
Expert

Re: Paying for WI-FI 5.0 but only able to access Wi-Fi 2.4GHz

Try this: Log into your device and change the name of one of the networks. Doesn't matter if it's the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz network.  :smileycool:

I am not an employee.
Contributor

"Can't connect to this network"  I don't have permission to access the 5mhz network basically. 

I've changed the name as you suggested and it doesn't appear on the list of available connections.  When I attempt to manually connect through the hidden network it says I can't connect to the network.

I'm not even connected through wifi, I'm connecting via ethernet.  It makes no sense.

Expert

• Forget the network on your computer, restart the computer and try connecting again.
  • Try a factory reset of the device (you'll lose custom settings). 
  • Try changing the network channel.
  • If none of that works, consider swapping the device. 

I am not an employee.
Contributor

This is purely a router issue with wifi. What router are you using? Is it rented or do you own your own?

You pay Comcast for the signal into your cable modem. Then it depends on your router. If you have a single signal router that doesn't have the 802.11ac standard, it will be one 2.4 line. If 5 or had the 802.11ac standard, you should see both 2.4 and 5.0.

What speeds are you paying Comcast for? 50, 100, 150 mps?

Jt

Contributor

I got totally lost when you said:  "I'm not even connected through wifi, I'm connecting via ethernet."    ???

In any case, assuming you are trying to connect via wi-fi - are you sure the device you are connecting supports 5GHz?    If not, that would certainly explain why you couldn't see the name you gave to the 5GHz band in the router.

Expert

@Kayenet wrote:

When I attempt to manually connect through the hidden network it says I can't connect to the network.

FWIW, the "Hidden" network is for connectivity to the Comcast home security system only.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I have Comcasts dual band 802.11ac modem.  I knew I didn't need a 5mhz adaptor but I went to Walmart and got one anyway.  I still was not able to connect, unless I'm connected to it via ethernet which makes no sense.  I don't have wired, only wifi.

Contributor

The 5mhz connection is not showing up.  Only the 2.4mhz is there.

knet2 is the 2.4mhz

where is kirstenet?

I did everything you told me to do.  I removed all of the connections, reset the modem, changed the names.  It's nowhere to be found.  My download speed is 25mhz and my upload speed is 2.8.

Untitled3.jpg
Contributor

I see it in the page you sent me to but how do I get connected to it?  I manually added kirstenet to my computer so it will auto connect but it wont connect.  It defaults to the 2.4mhz and I have no idea how to get the 5mhz.

Untitled2.jpg
Contributor

This is what I mean when I say I'm connected through ethernet.  

Untitled4.jpg
Contributor

Okay, it is a Comcast router issue. It probably is a single modem/router combo. Which unit is it that you are renting?
Please help me out people if I am wrong.. It is my perception that Comcast doesn't send wifi signals, it sends signals to the modem.
Whether wifi connections see 2.4 or 5 depends if the router supports the 802.11ac standard. No matter what one does with a Internet signal, if you have a single band router, you will be on the single 2 4ghz band. You need a dual band router to get the 5ghz signal (with the 2.4 as well).
It could be how the router is configured or it is possible that your Comcast router (or combo router/modem) needs to be exchanged for another one.
I was at a friend's house several months ago and she was renting Comcast hardware and the wifi was awful. Distance very bad.. Sooooo. I went to the local Comcast store and exchanged it for a new, better modem/router, I installed it and it improved everything.
What speed are you contracted for.. How many mps?

Jt
Contributor

I have the 802.11 ac dual band modem.  Last week before I made the decision to drop my wired connection I was using the 5mhz.  I used it all week.  My download speeds while using it were 70 and my upload was 11 and even as high as 13 at times.   That was what made me decide to switch, the upload speeds are better than Blast (wired).   I need upload speeds because I upload photos and videos plus play games. 

Now that I made the decision to switch to the 5mhz wifi suddenly the connection is so slow.  Uploads are between 2.8mhz to 5.6 sporatically.  Download is between 40 and 70 sporatically.

Contributor

Just to avoid confusion I do have the dual band 802.11 ac modem.

Official Employee

@Kayenet wrote:

The 5mhz connection is not showing up.  Only the 2.4mhz is there.

knet2 is the 2.4mhz

where is kirstenet?

I did everything you told me to do.  I removed all of the connections, reset the modem, changed the names.  It's nowhere to be found.  My download speed is 25mhz and my upload speed is 2.8.

Are you sure your device picks up the 5? Not every laptop is made to work with it. Looking at the list of wireless networks that you posted, you can see your neighbor's Home-4370-2.4 (but no 5, unless it's out of range). 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

I'm on a win 10 i7 desktop, not a laptop.  I have the 802.11ac dual band modem.  I went to Walmart today and grabbed a 5mhz adaptor just to see if would make a difference.  It did not but i shouldnt need an adaptor because the modem is compatible.  I used the 5mhz all last week when I was still wired.  I was testing it to see if it was stable enough for me to cut the cord and go straight wi-fi.  It was great!  I'm definately set up with compatible components.

Now all of a sudden, I can't get the same wi-fi?  That's got to be a setting overlooked, it's not a campatibility issue.

Contributor

Sorry for the confusion.
Don't you have a line that comes into the house that is connected to your modem/router? Coax between the modem/router and the wall?
Are you using a Comcast hot spot?
Comcast is cable, therefore wired?

Yes a network adaptor on a laptop end can effect things.

Jt
Contributor

Yes, I have a line coming into the apartment.  It's connected directly to the modem and I have the yellow cord running from the modem to my computer (Not a laptop).

I don't know if I am using a Comcast hotspot, I thought my modem was the hotspot?  I don't have anything extra if that is what you are asking.

Contributor

Troubleshooting > Wi-Fi Spectrum Analyzer

6:05:01:AC:A7:C8   -69 dBm b,g,n WPA/WPA2 1 , 2 , 5.5 , 11 , 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
1E:05:01:E4:588   -78 dBm b,g,n WPA/WPA2 1 , 2 , 5.5 , 11 , 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
2A:05:01:AC:A7:C8   -69 dBm b,g,n WPA/WPA2 1 , 2 , 5.5 , 11 , 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
2A:05:01:E4:588   -77 dBm b,g,n WPA/WPA2 1 , 2 , 5.5 , 11 , 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
00:0D:67:77:03:88   -73 dBm b,g,n WPA2 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
10:05:01:AC:A7:C8 FeliciaCook2 -71 dBm b,g,n WPA2 1 , 2 , 5.5 , 11 , 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
1E:05:01:AC:A7:C8   -69 dBm b,g,n WPA/WPA2 1 , 2 , 5.5 , 11 , 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
10:05:01:E4:588 HOME-4370-2.4 -77 dBm b,g,n WPA2 1 , 2 , 5.5 , 11 , 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
00:0D:67:77:03:83 CableWiFi -75 dBm b,g,n None 6 , 9 , 12 , 18 , 24 , 36 , 48 , 54 ,
F8:35D:F2:52:14 MOTOROLA-3C3DD -64 dBm b,g,n WPA2
Official Employee

@Kayenet wrote:

I'm on a win 10 i7 desktop, not a laptop.  I have the 802.11ac dual band modem.  I went to Walmart today and grabbed a 5mhz adaptor just to see if would make a difference.  It did not but i shouldnt need an adaptor because the modem is compatible.  I used the 5mhz all last week when I was still wired.  I was testing it to see if it was stable enough for me to cut the cord and go straight wi-fi.  It was great!  I'm definately set up with compatible components.

Now all of a sudden, I can't get the same wi-fi?  That's got to be a setting overlooked, it's not a campatibility issue.

When you say you were "wired" to use the 5, did you ever see the 5 network on the list on your device? Do you see it on other devices like a cell phone?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Yes.  I was connected to it on my computer.   I have never been able to locate it on my phone.

Official Employee

@Kayenet wrote:

Yes.  I was connected to it on my computer.   I have never been able to locate it on my phone.

When you're directly connected with your PC via Ethernet, you aren't picking a band to connect with. Do you ever see anything labeled with a 5 on any device? How old's your phone? 

Contributor

When I connect via ethernet I am not picking, it goes directly to 2.4 connection.  Right now I am connected via wi-fi and can only see the 2.4 connection.  

I am unsure of the age of the phone, I've had it for approximately 6 months.  It's a ZTE and is hotspot enabled.  Whwn I connect via the phone hotspot is is also the 2.4 connection.

Contributor

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@Kayenet wrote:

Yes, this is what confuses me. If one is connected directly with a RJ45 cable from the modem/router to the computer, that is a ethernet connection, not WiFi and therefore, with ethernet, there is not such thing as 2.4 or 5mhz band or the 802.11 standards.

If I want to see how good my comcast connection is, if I am getting my money's worth, I connect via Ethernet, make sure that my laptop is using my ethernet adapter as opposed to WiFi and run speedtest at http://speedtest.xfinity.com.

Since I own my own hardware, to see how I am doing on WiFi speed, I would unplug my RJ45 cable from my router or computer, therefore making ethernet unavailable to me, then run speedtest. If I have a two band router, I should see two choices additional in my WIndows network and Internet settings.My speeds in relation to the ethernet connection is up to me. If I do NOT have an apropriate router to take advantage of dual band and 5 GHz band in particular.

BUT..I would have to make sure that on my laptop, that I have the latest drivers, location of the router, network traffic in my home, walls, any hardware that I might be running,home phone and of course a router that can handle the speeds and traffic and distance.

What does Comcast support have to say??
I wish that I can see your setup.
Can you go into your router to see how it is setup ?

If I am incorrect on this, please correct me.

Goodluck,Smiley Happy

JT

Official Employee

@Kayenet wrote:

When I connect via ethernet I am not picking, it goes directly to 2.4 connection.  Right now I am connected via wi-fi and can only see the 2.4 connection.  

I am unsure of the age of the phone, I've had it for approximately 6 months.  It's a ZTE and is hotspot enabled.  Whwn I connect via the phone hotspot is is also the 2.4 connection.

It seems like you have 2 devices that just don't have access to that band. If you do have a 5ghz adapter, I believe you're going to be looking for the wireless networks in a different spot on your PC, not through the normal way like the picture that you posted above. 

Contributor

Is there a way to acess my modem so I can see what 

Contributor

To get into my router, I enter this. http://192.168.1.1/

But, I have no idea the route of hardware you are using. I think you should call Comcast.

Jt

Expert

It's 10.0.0.1 The default username is admin and the default password is password.

I am a fellow customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

I returned the adapter already.  I'll goduckgo it and buy it back tomorrow.

Radio types supported are n, g and b without it.  I assumed the modem alone would be enough considering it is the dual band.

Expert

@Kayenet wrote:

Radio types supported are n, g and b without it.  I assumed the modem alone would be enough considering it is the dual band.

No. Your adapter also needs to support the 5.0 GHz band.

Contributor

@EG wrote:

@Kayenet wrote:

No. Your adapter also needs to support the 5.0 GHz band.

Bingo.. It's not the modem that deals with the Wi-Fi, your router does. And you and n, g and b means single band. You need router that has 802.11ac. They will be downward compatible.

I personally am going through the same thing. I just updated my modem, but for my wifi to get faster, I needed to purchase a new router to get to get the dual band. Bands are different from modem channels.

Jon T

Contributor

You don't need a router.  The modem is fine.  You need to replace your current adapter.  It's the current WI-FI CARD that is creating the issue.  You can get a 5 MHZ usb adaptor.  Once you have the new adapter installed go to device manager and delete the old adapter.  Reboot and you should see the 5mhz connection from there.

I had it, I just didn't realize it because I didn't think to remove the old adapter.

https://appuals.com/how-to-connect-to-5ghz-wifi-on-windows-7-8-and-10/