Community Forum

Packet loss and inconsistent internet connection (Gigabit Internet)

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Packet loss and inconsistent internet connection (Gigabit Internet)

Hello!

I recently moved down the street (3 months ago) and was eligible for Gigabit internet connection.  We recently upgraded from 250 Mbps so we were thrilled to have a new place with better internet!

Our first technician installed the incorrect modem and the second technician said that our lines didn't look right but installed the correct modem and everything seemed fine.  I game and stream extremely heavily and started noticing extremely large latency spikes and packet loss.  Also, our stream quality periodically goes to pixels for a minute and restarts it's stream quality.  

At first I thought it was my old computer so I replaced everything (1080 ti, i5-8600k, Windows 10) and hoped for the best.  I installed all new CAT6 cables to everything but it did not change the internet quality.  I've pinged the server and found out that I recieve about 1-9% packet loss.

I can barely connect to any host and have trouble staying in every single game that I play online.  Whenever I contact customer support, I get the same "power cycle" response which works for about 5-10 minutes then it resumes.

It's very disappointing that I can not game or stream as well anymore. It seems the internet connection was better at our old place at half the cost!