Community Forum

Packet Loss with Online Gaming

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Packet Loss with Online Gaming

I'm an avid online gamer. Lately I have notice I've gotten high latency around 200-300ms while playing online but I'm able to stream and download without any issues. I ran a tracert against the server; I attached it to this post. I've reached out to support, they told me the basic of rebooting my router, modem, and PC, and it did not help. The high latency is with all my online gaming not one individual game. 

I have a Arris Surfboard SB6183 modem, RT-N12 Wireless-N300 router, using a wired connection, Blast! Tier. 

Expert

Re: Packet Loss with Online Gaming

Hi @ratha139

Your trace is coming back to you, but your router blocks ICMP by default which is why your trace dies there. An employee checked your modem health and it comes back good, your RF power levels are in spec. So your equipment is fine and everything seems to be fine on Comcast network -- your latency issues likely reside on the game servers. (PS Blizzard is notorious for that very thing.)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the quick response @nerdburg!!!

Is there anything I can do on my end to fix this or should I reach out to Blizzard about this? I also been having issues with some Steam games as well.

Expert

TBH, this isn't anything new. Most likely the game admins will tell you it is your ISP's fault. Probably reaching out to specific gaming communities is the best way to find some solutions.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Will do. Thanks for helping and pointing me to the right direction.