Community Forum

Packet Loss on the south side of Indianapolis

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Packet Loss on the south side of Indianapolis

Good Evening, 

As of the beginning of last week, January 15th/16th, I have been experiencing severe packet loss that isn't resulting in any actual internet connectivity interruptions as my download and upload speeds are consistent, but any time I game, it will render any online gaming experience impossible due to massive latency spiking and timeouts from the server.  I have run several WinMTR tests and the issues begin on the second hop of the tracer route outside of my internal network.  I am currently hard wired into my router which is a TP-Link Archer C7 V2 and an Arris SB6141.  I have attached the power level readings for the modem and I will also attach the WinMTR log for the tracer route which is configured to trace directly to the particular game server that is being used for the game, which in this instance is Path of Exile.  I would appreciate any assistance that could be rendered!

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Packet Loss on the south side of Indianapolis

The stats as read at the modem level at that moment in time were o/k but there are three additional signal stats that can cause problems which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Packet Loss on the south side of Indianapolis

Well, I called Xfinity's customer service line and they could not or would not give me the data on those particular signal statistics.  I've scheduled a technician visit for this coming Saturday, but I am a little frustrated at the fact that I couldn't get more information over the phone.  ATT had installed their Fiber lines here in the last month and I'm not sure if they messed with any connections at the street level or in our apartment because when we moved in, I had to have comcast drop a whole new coax line from the attic because ATT actually cut the coax cables up there and didn't cap them correctly.  It is just a pain if it is something in the attic because the access is in another unit in the apartment building.  Here is to hoping it isn't something in the building but something outside at the box on the apartment or on the street level. 

Thank you for your assistance!